How much do you think these are worth?...

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Emzyyy, May 15, 2010.

1. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    We inherited three land grants from my grandmother who passed away and their signed by three different presidents. One by Andrew Johnson signed 1873, another by James Buchanan signed 1879, and the third signed by Ulysses S. Grant signed 1873. Looks like the land is in Salina Kansas. It says on one "Whereas, In pursuance of the Act of Congress, approved MARCH 3, 1855, entitled "An Act in addition to certain Acts granting Bounty Land to certain Officers and Soldiers who have been engaged in the Military Service of the United States," On the back it says a fee of $1.00 payed for 160 acres! [​IMG] $1.00?!

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    That is soooo cool!! [​IMG]

3. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Probably a lot, that sounds pretty cool.

4. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

You could probably do some internet research on them. Definitely dont take the first offer and be careful!

5. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Those are cool, I would think they would be great to hold on to for family but I would do some searching on the internet and see what you find. the museum here in Salina might be interested in those I would check that out. glad to see another Kansas person here.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Antiques Road SHow

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

We have the original land grant document for our farm. I don't have a clue what they're worth.....ours will be passed on to one of our kids.

8. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Wow! Those are pieces of American History! They are very valuable!

9. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Are those original signatures?!?!?! [​IMG] Holy Guacamole! Does the term priceless mean anything to you? Yes, they are valuable but they are also priceless family heirlooms. Personally, their value is so high I would put them on loan to a museum. That way your family maintains ownership but the museum takes care of tending them properly. This also could bring them to a wider audience if you actually chose to sell them. Just make certian when you sign any deal with the museum that you retain ownership. Then, also if the museum is able to show them in other venues (museums sometimes share items for specific shows) you may be paid a stipend.

BTW, if they really are originals and you are certain of that they should be insured and put in bank at the very least.

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Ours is in a frame, upside down in my linen drawer [​IMG] When my in-laws still had it it was in a metal can with the other land deeds in their basement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by