How much do your birds eat?

Chandlerharris

Songster
Jan 17, 2021
I am new to owning chickens. I have about 25 birds (LOL). I’d like to get a gauge of how much anyone else’s flock eats. Preferably if yours is the same size as mine. I go through a 50 lb bag of feed a week with mine and it just seems like WOW a lot. Or am I wrong? I notice a lot of waste on the floor and I’m trying different things to remedy that. Any tips for me? I have the food in a 15 lb hanging feeder I only keep about half full. Only 10 birds are adults. The other 15 are about 3 months old. Thanks!

I only have 8 chickens so can't say about the amount of food, but we made a feeder like this one: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...lon-25-feed-bucket-feeder-for-about-3.834227/ and have had zero wasted food since.
20200703_161059.jpg

Last edited:
My 21 chickens and 2 ducks go through around 75 a month, probably a bit less. I have also noticed mine leave a lot of waste on the floor, so I remove the feeder and let my ducks eat the wasted feed off the ground at night.

All of mine also free range all day, everyday. That takes down feed consumption a lot.

The short answer? Mine eat too much.
I have 17 at the moment, and I’m going to get 2 or 3 more in spring. We also go through about 50 lbs in 2 weeks.
The amount a full grown chicken ussually eats in one day is 1/4 pounds. You have 25 birds and each one eats 1.75 pounds in one week. The total amount of food 25 birds would eat in one week would be 43.75. The spills, plus them eating varrying amounta due to differnt ages and sizes 50 pounds per week seems fine.

My four birds eat about a half a cup of pelleted food each per day. My food "scoop" is a pint jar, and I usually put two scant scoops in their bowl in the morning. In the afternoon, I give them some kind of treat, whether it's BOSS and mealworms, squash or melon guts with seeds, snipped up greens, or the leftover fines of their food wetted as a mash.

Back
Top Bottom