How Much? Feed and water per day per chicken.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Bs Peeps, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Bs Peeps

Bs Peeps Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2014
    Trying to get an idea of how much feed and how much water PER DAY do chickens eat?

I plan on having not more than 6 hens with my first flock. Thanks.

2. woody1

woody1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Just North of the PRK
    Like the old man's underwear, Depends, but on average you should figure about a quarter of a pound of layer ration and around a pint of water. Breed will make a difference as will weather and lots of other things. This is only a ball park figure. Regards, Woody

1 person likes this.
  3. Hilacraft

Hilacraft Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2014
    United States
    The Cluck-ulator app will give you that answer. Andriod and Apple Stores available. [​IMG]

I leave a pan outside with water so that can chose how much they want and the same with the food.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  4. Bs Peeps

Jun 11, 2014
    Funny. I'm not a smartphone user, so,,,,,,,,,,,,and there is no app for that (me). :)

5. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    4-6oz per bird per day for food. Less for Bantams, way more for meaties. Figure about 2lbs a day for 6 normal birds.

A pint per bird seems really high for water to me - maybe they go through a pint a day in bucket/bowl feeders, but they definitely don't go through that much on poultry nipples.

6. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    How hungry and thirsty are they? Is it a hot or cold day? Do they free range and for how long? Do they spill or waste some?

My flock is about your size. I use the gallon waterer and feeder. A gallon of water will last the whole day in peak of summer, but I always have multiple water statons with more than a gallon of water just in case one is tipped over.

I think a full gallon of feed should be enough for one day. Again, I always have at least 2 feed stations.

Not an exact science, but always good to make sure that it is not excessive, like critters stealing.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  7. Bs Peeps

Jun 11, 2014
    Thanks for that info. I do plan on using nipples, to at least keep the place tidy; if not to prevent waste. Good tips. thanks.

8. Bs Peeps

Jun 11, 2014
    Appreciate your tips as well. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by