How Much? Feed and water per day per chicken.

Bs Peeps

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 11, 2014
Trying to get an idea of how much feed and how much water PER DAY do chickens eat?

I plan on having not more than 6 hens with my first flock. Thanks.

Like the old man's underwear, Depends, but on average you should figure about a quarter of a pound of layer ration and around a pint of water. Breed will make a difference as will weather and lots of other things. This is only a ball park figure. Regards, Woody

The Cluck-ulator app will give you that answer. Andriod and Apple Stores available.
smile.png

I leave a pan outside with water so that can chose how much they want and the same with the food.

Last edited:
The Cluck-ulator app will give you that answer. Andriod and Apple Stores available.
smile.png

I leave a pan outside with water so that can chose how much they want and the same with the food.
Funny. I'm not a smartphone user, so,,,,,,,,,,,,and there is no app for that (me). :)

4-6oz per bird per day for food. Less for Bantams, way more for meaties. Figure about 2lbs a day for 6 normal birds.

A pint per bird seems really high for water to me - maybe they go through a pint a day in bucket/bowl feeders, but they definitely don't go through that much on poultry nipples.

How hungry and thirsty are they? Is it a hot or cold day? Do they free range and for how long? Do they spill or waste some?

My flock is about your size. I use the gallon waterer and feeder. A gallon of water will last the whole day in peak of summer, but I always have multiple water statons with more than a gallon of water just in case one is tipped over.

I think a full gallon of feed should be enough for one day. Again, I always have at least 2 feed stations.

Not an exact science, but always good to make sure that it is not excessive, like critters stealing.

Last edited:
4-6oz per bird per day for food. Less for Bantams, way more for meaties. Figure about 2lbs a day for 6 normal birds.

A pint per bird seems really high for water to me - maybe they go through a pint a day in bucket/bowl feeders, but they definitely don't go through that much on poultry nipples.
Thanks for that info. I do plan on using nipples, to at least keep the place tidy; if not to prevent waste. Good tips. thanks.

How hungry and thirsty are they? Is it a hot or cold day? Do they free range and for how long? Do they spill or waste some?

My flock is about your size. I use the gallon waterer and feeder. A gallon of water will last the whole day in peak of summer, but I always have multiple water statons with more than a gallon of water just in case one is tipped over.

I think a full gallon of feed should be enough for one day. Again, I always have at least 2 feed stations.
Appreciate your tips as well. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom