How much feed do they eat?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Leah and peeps, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Hi everyone,

I am getting my first chicks (EE) tom and some girls (sex-links) that will start to lay in august in a couple weeks. Ill probably end up with 12 chickens in total.
    So my question is how many pounds of feed will i go through per chicken ( or in total ) in a day or week or month when they are all laying? Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  2. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    It all depends on if you supliment with treats... I think a 50 lb bag would do for 1 month. [​IMG]

3. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    In general terms...1/4 pound of feed per bird per day. That will fluctuate with the season, how much they can forage outside of a coop, age of birds, and lots of other things. But 50 pounds per month is a very good estimate.

4. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I'd say your breeds will eat closer to 1/3 of a lb. a day on average or 100 lbs.+ a month. It does depend on what brand of feed you feed. I normally keep 12 chickens and go through 75-100+ lbs./month.

5. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Well it turns out i am have 15 chickens! [​IMG] [​IMG] (2 EO, 5 SL, 6 EE, 1 Welsummer, 1 mystery) . So im guessing ill be going through 1-2 bags of feed per month? I think the bags are 50lbs. each. (but im not positive) IM just trying to work out the montly costs [​IMG] . you know how it goes! lol! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by