How much feed do you go thru?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Eggzactly, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Eggzactly

Eggzactly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    marietta
    I am waiting on myorder of chicks 5 red star, 2 Black star, 4 Barred Plymouth rocks,2RIR and 2 Buff Orps .how much feed should i expect tp go thru per month?I will let them free range only when Im in yard because of predators.how much feed do you go thru per month and how many birds do you have?

2. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have 35 chickens that only get to free-range in the evenings. The rest of the day thay are in their yard. They go thru 40 pounds of feed in about 5-6 days.

3. wannabechickraiser

wannabechickraiser Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    I have 10 australops. The first 50 lbs of chick starter lasted about 7 weeks. They're working on the 50 lbs bag of grower now and they eat about 2lbs a day now.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  4. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    I have 11 hens and one roo. They are not free ranged at this time. My hubby is working on a fence for me. But they go through about 50 pounds in 1 1/2 weeks. I have noticecd since the weather is hotter, they are eating more. I guess they are expelling more energy. Oh - they are about 6 months old.

Good luck! [​IMG]

5. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    I am going through 50 lbs in two weeks with 16 4 month old pullets...

they do free range in the evening ...

I dont really know how much to feed them.. my husband thinks I am starving them.. because every time I go to feed them they act like they havent eaten for days.. they also get scraps.. I think I may be feeding them tooo much.. anyone how much is too much.?

6. I feel sorry for you guys, we go thru 50lbs. in a month! Five sexlinks...15 weeks.

7. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    My Delightful Dozen don't go through much food at all. They get 3 - 4 hours of free range in the evenings. I purchased a 50 lb bag and it has lasted me more than a month. I don't think I will need any more until I am ready to put them on layer feed in late August.

Once I put the feeder up on a brick they no longer go through the feed so quickly and wastefully. They get daily snacks of things like corn on the cob, zucchini, broccoli, nearly gone fruit, but primarily they are eating the feed provided. This afternoon, I commented to DH how shiny the feathers are in the sunlight!

I really do think that feeder placement is what has make my DDozen less wasteful.

Edited to add, they are 3 months old now, we got them in April.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  8. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    At 16 weeks old my orpingtons were eating about 1 pound per chicken per week. They have a large run and get plenty of treats/scraps. When they were chicks I didn't keep track, just kept the feeder full, else one would try to roost on top of it and then fall in [​IMG]

9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    We have 66 birds, 45 are young 20 wk old pullets, and 20 are between 5-8 wk old chicks. I bought 100lbs of feed today and will visit the feed store again in 2wks, they stay in the coop & runs 24/7 no free ranging, you do the math, still ok with it though.

AL

10. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    does anyone know the food/chick ratio that we should be feeding?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by