How much feed for REALLY small flock?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by spacetygrss, Sep 13, 2009.

1. spacetygrss

spacetygrss Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2009
    DFW, TX
    About how much feed, on average, are you using for flocks of 2-3 chickens?

I'm trying to come up with an average estimate of how much I'd be spending per month on feed (I guess I should throw oyster shell/grit into the equation too).

Thanks.

2. NurseELB

NurseELB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Lacey, WA
    We pay about $15 for a bag of Albers feed and it lasts us 6-8 weeks for our 2 girls- used to be 3. Some of it I think the dogs get so it should go 9 weeks or so.

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

It'll be a bit more during the winter if yours are free ranging now. I had 4 layers and one 50# bag of layer crumbles lasted me most of 3.5 months, but now they're more interested, and my pullets are on layer feed as well, so I can't give you much of a guide now.

4. spacetygrss

Aug 24, 2009
    DFW, TX
    Quote:How big is the bag? Thanks.

5. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    Most bags of feed are 50 pounds. If you are concerned about having to store the feed for so long, a lot of feed stores will sell feed by the pound. At our feed store they just open up a bag and pour it into a bin, you scoop out as much as you want into a bag,

6. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    We pay about $16 per bag for 50lbs. Spring - Fall we don't go through much at all because ours free-range. For 2-3 chickens one 50lb bag will last the whole "warm" season here. In the winter obviously they go through it more quickly. If you're planning to buy conventional feed I wouldn't estimate over $100 per year for feed for a small flock like that. [​IMG]

7. origami.bullets

origami.bullets Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2009
    I have 3 chickens (2 banties, one large) and I find that I go through one 20kg (44lbs) bag every 6 weeks or so. Each bag costs £7.85 ($13.10), which means I spend around 6p, or 10c per day per chicken on food.

8. spacetygrss

Aug 24, 2009
    DFW, TX
    Quote:Thanks. This was very helpful. [​IMG]

9. d73

d73 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2009
    Pine Island Florida
    I'm feeding 12 chickens now and go through a 50# bag about every 3 weeks. Buying by the pound I would think it would cost a lot more.
    What I do is put the feed a a large galvanized trash can. Works real well.
    For only 3 chickens I can't see you using more the 1 bag every 2.5/3 months

10. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

It took me just over 90lbs of feed to get 6 chicks to 20 weeks, but chicks eat a lot at first.
    From just that, I'd say we average 1-50lb bag per 2 months. They definitely eat less when they're on grass!

I have a plastic feed storage bin that keeps it airtight that I got at Wal-Mart - it holds about 40lbs of crumbles. I put the extra in a 5gal bucket with a lid. I keep our feed inside the house, you might need a metal trashcan if you have freeloaders.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by