How much feed to feed?

cnj-tx50

Songster
10 Years
Jun 19, 2009
North of Dallas, TX
Ok been reading some of these post and I'm a little confused. I have 25 pullets, one that is laying the rest between 25 and 29 weeks and one roo. I buy a 50 lb bag of Layenea and a 50 lb bag of scratch every 3 1/2 to 4 weeks of which I throw out about 3 or 4 cups to them each morning and they do get scraps and the feed is 24/7. So should they be eating more? They look and feel great when I pick them up. Does feed consumption go up when they start laying?

Last edited:
Quote:
I understand where your coming from!! I've had mine for 6 weeks (3 hens & 1 roo) and I haven't even come close to using a half a bag of feed!! I keep the feeder full and they have access 24/7.. Mine seem healthy & happy!! I know I've read that they don't eat as much in the summer as the winter so maybe that's why they haven't been eating that much since the heat here is tremendous!!

I'll be waiting for the replies to see if I'm doing something wrong!!

Missi

Last edited by a moderator:
I found that my young chickens don't eat as much as I thought. And then when they are almost one year old they seem to go through a growth spurt or something and eat me out of house and home for about 2 months.

Are your chickens free ranging also? If the food is there 24/7 I bet they are eating enough. My layers don't seem to eat anymore than the young ones.

Last edited:
With feed 24/7 and they look and feel good, are gaining weight I think they are probably eating enough. Mine seems to always be eating something. I noticed that once they started laying and especially during a molt consumption went up. If you are feeding the pellet form rather than the crumble form you will use less because they waste less.

They don't free range, only in their yard that is mostly grass and them a layer of hard wood mulch that cover a small area around the coop and under the coop and the yard is 50x50 and I feed crumbles in a hanging feeder in the coop. When I pick them up they feel heavy and I guess you could say meaty. I have been worried that I have been doing something wrong because I only have one that lay about 6 days a week and has been doing so for about 5 weeks now but no one else even thou they are all about the same age. Should I change feeds or what?

If there is grass in there yard they are eating that also. The only thing I can think of is give them a little less scratch.

But sounds like they are getting enough to eat. I give mine feed 24/7 and a handful of scratch to keep them from getting bored.

No grass left in my run.
smile.png
It may just be they are slow due to the season. Mine are slower in the fall. I think you will probably get more eggs soon.
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Ok!!! I will stop with the worry!! And know that they will eat what they want even if they do only go thru about 50 lbs in a few weeks!!! Lower food bills for the one egg!!

Quote:
I understand where your coming from!! I've had mine for 6 weeks (3 hens & 1 roo) and I haven't even come close to using a half a bag of feed!! I keep the feeder full and they have access 24/7.. Mine seem healthy & happy!! I know I've read that they don't eat as much in the summer as the winter so maybe that's why they haven't been eating that much since the heat here is tremendous!!

I'll be waiting for the replies to see if I'm doing something wrong!!

Missi

You both make me feel better. I have 20 chicks and 2 pullets and my output is only 50lbs every 4 to 6 weeks. But everything that I read is that I should be buying a bag every 2. I give a big scoop every morning in a bowl and they don't even empty it everyday. I do give scraps sometimes and now scratch at night before bed. But even that is only a couple handfuls. They free range all day in the barn and outside. I assume the colder it gets here the more I will feed. Even now when I went down to check on them they were in the pasture and their food was untouched.
hu.gif
They must be getting enough. But it's nice to see that someone else is similar to me.

Back
Top Bottom