How Much feed ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by s6bee, Aug 11, 2007.

1. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I have 4 week old chicks and soon I'll be buying grower then layer feed as they age. How much should I expect the chickens to eat and/or go through on average. I have 5 standard size hens. I seem to be going through quite a bit of feed now. I just can't get out to the feed stores often but don't have a ton of room to store the food.
    Thanks in advance....
    Stephanie

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

That's a hard question because it depends on age of the birds, the type of birds (a 12 lb roo eats more than a 3 lb leghorn), if they get scraps or freerange, and heavily on the weather. I have about 15 birds and they go through 100 lbs a month in winter and maybe 3/4 or even half that in the summer.

3. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I have 38 hens, 16 roos (all are standard sized), 5 ducks and 4 turkeys,; they eat about two 50lb bags a week, plus I go threw about one 50 lb bag of chicken scratch every two to three weeks. Not to mention they also free range.

I would safely say that since you only have 5 you should be set with a 50lb bag for two to three weeks. Just my observation. You might want to wait for a reply from someone else who has fewer chickens.

good luck

Tes

4. mosier

mosier Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I have three chickens who are ten weeks old. They're still on their first 50 lb bag of chick starter.

5. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    Whew! You guys must have some hungry chickens. [​IMG]

We have 19 Ameracaunas who go through a 50 lb bag in about 2 weeks, and 5 gold sex links who go through a 50 lb bag in about a month. [​IMG] They do free-range a lot of the time, though, too.

6. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    I have 21 birds that eat a 50lb bag of laying mash every 2 weeks.
    They eat a little more during the winter.

7. CutestChickenFarmer

CutestChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    Delaware
    I have five 5-week-old chickens, and I still have some of the 10lb. bag of feed I started with. Granted, they get vegetables and other snacks. I dumped the last of it in the feeder over the weekend.

8. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    16 chickens total (11 hens, 5 roos) that eat about one 50lb. bag of layer pellets every two weeks, plus one 50lb bag of scratch every month and a half, plus many many table scraps. And occasionally each others' feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by