How Much feed ?

s6bee

Songster
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
Western, NY
I have 4 week old chicks and soon I'll be buying grower then layer feed as they age. How much should I expect the chickens to eat and/or go through on average. I have 5 standard size hens. I seem to be going through quite a bit of feed now. I just can't get out to the feed stores often but don't have a ton of room to store the food.
Thanks in advance....
Stephanie

That's a hard question because it depends on age of the birds, the type of birds (a 12 lb roo eats more than a 3 lb leghorn), if they get scraps or freerange, and heavily on the weather. I have about 15 birds and they go through 100 lbs a month in winter and maybe 3/4 or even half that in the summer.

I have 38 hens, 16 roos (all are standard sized), 5 ducks and 4 turkeys,; they eat about two 50lb bags a week, plus I go threw about one 50 lb bag of chicken scratch every two to three weeks. Not to mention they also free range.

I would safely say that since you only have 5 you should be set with a 50lb bag for two to three weeks. Just my observation. You might want to wait for a reply from someone else who has fewer chickens.

good luck

Tes

Whew! You guys must have some hungry chickens.
lol.png

We have 19 Ameracaunas who go through a 50 lb bag in about 2 weeks, and 5 gold sex links who go through a 50 lb bag in about a month.
big_smile.png
They do free-range a lot of the time, though, too.

I have five 5-week-old chickens, and I still have some of the 10lb. bag of feed I started with. Granted, they get vegetables and other snacks. I dumped the last of it in the feeder over the weekend.

16 chickens total (11 hens, 5 roos) that eat about one 50lb. bag of layer pellets every two weeks, plus one 50lb bag of scratch every month and a half, plus many many table scraps. And occasionally each others' feathers.

Back
Top Bottom