How much feed?

WVjoe

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 27, 2012
Hello all. I was wondering how much i should feed my chickens and how often? they are 5 weeks old and just going into thier coop. should i keep thier feeder in the coop or under it? its several feet of the ground.
also i am new to this but do i need to open thier coop up at dawn?

Many people just keep a feeder full and that's that. Done.

I prefer to visit the birds twice a day. Morning and afternoon, I like to put eyes on them, check their well being, notice anything odd or out of place, check their water and so forth. It's what I do. So, I feed them twice a day. Taking in mind that each week, they are growing and eating more. I want them to eat all they want, but I want everything cleaned up before they go to roost at night. I'm not going to feed the little rodent critters that are nocturnal.

I'm feeding 14 chicks that 5 weeks old tomorrow and they are currently up to almost 2 pounds per day. Soon enough, they'll want 2 1/2, then 3 pounds. I use a one pound coffee can as a measuring scoop.

Last edited:
I feed my birds twice a day, I like to keep my feeders completely full because if they run out of food and they get hungry they may peck at each other. And like Fred' Hens said they will start eating more and more so keep a close eye on that.

I keep the feeder filled. Chickens don't overeat as do dogs and humans.

I would let them out as early as possible. They are ready to go at first light.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom