How much feed?

MissB

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 15, 2013
Mississippi
I am fairly new at raising chickens. How much feed should you feed them? Should you feed them in that morning for the night? Should you feed them once a day? Or make shure they always have food?

I am new at this as well and had this same question. All the information I have found says to make sure they have a constant supply of food and water. They will eat as they feel like it. And I may be wrong here so someone can correct me if I am. But I'm finding in my research that on average most producing chickens will eat about .25 lbs (1/4 lb) per day of feed. So multiply that by the number of chickens you have and that's how much you should have available to them for 1 day.

About 20 weeks on a starter/grower for most breeds. Heavy breeds like Brahmas and Cochins, usually 25 weeks. You can wait until you see your first egg too as a sign to put them on a good layer ration.
i have white leghorns and black austrolorps that are 8 weeks old so i should keep them on chic starter feed for another 12 weeks

I always have feed available for them and give them kitchen scraps in the morning. My 18 hens go through 100 lbs of laying crumbles per month. That's a little less then a 1/4 lb a day, but since they also have kitchen scraps and forage that's probably about right.

Back
Top Bottom