1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MissB, Mar 21, 2013.

1. MissB

MissB Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2013
    Mississippi
    I am fairly new at raising chickens. How much feed should you feed them? Should you feed them in that morning for the night? Should you feed them once a day? Or make shure they always have food?

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Fill up their feeder and let them eat what they need. Birds eat a little here and there all day long, slowly filling up their crops over the course of the day.

3. happylittlehens

happylittlehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2013
    Utah
    I am new at this as well and had this same question. All the information I have found says to make sure they have a constant supply of food and water. They will eat as they feel like it. And I may be wrong here so someone can correct me if I am. But I'm finding in my research that on average most producing chickens will eat about .25 lbs (1/4 lb) per day of feed. So multiply that by the number of chickens you have and that's how much you should have available to them for 1 day.

4. MissB

MissB Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2013
    Mississippi
    Thank y'all

5. Jo Anne

Jo Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    At what age do we feed them different food? I have babies four weeks old

6. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    About 20 weeks on a starter/grower for most breeds. Heavy breeds like Brahmas and Cochins, usually 25 weeks. You can wait until you see your first egg too as a sign to put them on a good layer ration.

7. jkhenry

jkhenry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2013
    picayune,ms
    i have white leghorns and black austrolorps that are 8 weeks old so i should keep them on chic starter feed for another 12 weeks

8. Jo Anne

Jo Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    When is there crop fully developed
    what age can they get kitchen scraps

9. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

They can get scraps as soon as they have had access to grit. Either provided by you or picked up while ranging.

10. UnlabeledMama

UnlabeledMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2012
    Western North Carolina
    I always have feed available for them and give them kitchen scraps in the morning. My 18 hens go through 100 lbs of laying crumbles per month. That's a little less then a 1/4 lb a day, but since they also have kitchen scraps and forage that's probably about right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by