How much feed?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

The best method to feed poultry is the "free feed" method. Just put it out and let them eat what they need. To try and calculate what they need can lead to not enough or too much. So just let them decide what they need and when.

Enjoy your flock and welcome to ours!

welcome-byc.gif

I agree with leaving feed out to let them decide. Just make sure it is in a location protected from elements and vermin. I use a hanging feeder, and add feed 2x a week as needed. Wash it and place a clean one out once a week. If you measure how much you place in it, you'll learn how much to leave out.

So glad you joined us.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Free-choice feeding means that the chickens get to come and go as they please and eat as much and as often as they like. A good reason for free-choice feeding is that lower ranking birds can eat after the top birds. You should elevate feeders so that your chickens can’t kick junk into their food and water. When using the free choice method, you don’t constantly have to refill the feeders every day which is another plus. However, your birds will waste considerably more feed. If you have birds that on average have a tendency to get fat (such as brahmas, faverolles, etc.) then free-choice feeding may not be the best choice for your birds.
Hand feeding will waste less food. This a good feeding idea for show birds, as this method will keep them more tame with the human contact and will allow you to keep track of how much they consume. But like I said, if time is limited, than reconsider. Otherwise, your birds will need to fit into your schedule. Another down side to hand feeding is that top, bossy hens usually hog food.

Lol i am not new! I have been here 4 months wait 5 and a half

The confusion likely stems from the fact that you are posting all of your threads here in the "New Member Introduction" section - since you are not a new member posting an introduction you might find it better to post your threads in whichever area most closely fits the topic of that given thread.

The confusion likely stems from the fact that you are posting all of your threads here in the "New Member Introduction" section - since you are not a new member posting an introduction you might find it better to post your threads in whichever area most closely fits the topic of that given thread.
X2

Back
Top Bottom