How much feed

Masonz75

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2015
We have 33 5 month old chickens and we are wondering about their feed situation. We buy 50 pound bags of feed and it lasts us about three days. A lot of feed is on the ground by there feet, they sift throgh it and only eat the big pieces (Corn). Should we not feed them until all of the feed is gone on the ground?

We have 33 5 month old chickens and we are wondering about their feed situation. We buy 50 pound bags of feed and it lasts us about three days. A lot of feed is on the ground by there feet, they sift throgh it and only eat the big pieces (Corn). Should we not feed them until all of the feed is gone on the ground?
What type of feed are you feeding?
What type of feeder are you using and how is the feed ending up on the ground (feet or billing with their beaks)?
Are you feeding laying birds?

I would suggest a different approach to feeding to prevent so much waste -and possibly a different feed depending on the answer to question #1. A "no waste" feeder prevents them digging at or billing out feed, which is the primary cause of wasted feed. Mature layers generally consume about 1/3 pound of balanced feed per day to maintain their condition (varies by breed and other conditions) - so for 33 birds you are looking at 11 pounds of feed per day (give or take) - or about 33 pounds in a three day period. While your birds are still on the young side, they are past the point of rapid growth and are now just in the 'finishing' stage where they fill out and, if layers, prepare for the onset of production.

1. We just started feeding layer feed this is the first bag.
2. Picture below of the feeders.
3. they are billing with their beaks.
4. Yes they are all laying birds, mixed breeds.

you can see it here in this picture, because i had just made the feeders. but a couple days after there is a lot of feed below each feeder where the are billing through the feed with their becks.

What brand layer feed - is it pellets, crumbles or does it have whole/cracked grain pieces mixed in to a crumbled/pelleted feed base?

I'll take a picture of the label an feed when I get off work this afternoon. Thanks for the reply's

It's best to feed a pelleted complete feed, there's less waste that way. Mixed grain feeds tend to be less effective, because the birds will pick out the tasty bits and leave the rest, unbalancing their diet. Crumbles tend to be wasted more too. 35 growing birds do eat a lot! Mary

Fantastic feeder setup - but I can see where it would still leave room for some pretty heavy billing out of food. I think the way the no-waste bucket styles are designed where the bird goes in and down to reach the food at the bottom of the elbow work better to prevent billing/waste, perhaps there might be a way to incorporate that into this system?

sorry it took so long for my picture. but here is the label and I took a close up of the feed it self, plus I added all the waste on the ground to give you and idea what i'm talking about. Thanks for all the help.

1. this is what they waste. or should I not put feed in the feeders until they clean this stuff up?

2, The feed label.

3. Close up of the feed in the bag.

Back
Top Bottom