How much fermented feed?

It'sMeStan

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2017
Hello all,

I'm very much a newbie. My chicks were 1 week old yesterday, and arrived from MPC one week ago today. I've decided to try fermenting their feed at least occasionally. I did try to search the forums, but didn't find a definitive answer to my question (sorry if I missed it somewhere :confused:).

So here is my question: since it expands so much, do you measure the feed before or after fermentation? I keep reading about how fermentation will save on feed costs because they will eat less, but also to not feed more than they will eat in one day. First and foremost of course I don't want to feed them too little, especially now while they're still growing. On the other hand, I don't want to end up wasting feed because I'm making too much at a time. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

TIA
Julianna

Its my understanding that fermented feed is alot more digestible and thats why it saves on feed costs, I feed the same volume as I did with dry but it is all digestible instead of only half with the dry. I have been feeding fermented for 3 months now, same volume (but not same weight of course) and so far so good. Hopefully someone who knows more can give more info.

Just to clarify, are you measuring by volume AFTER the feed has been fermented?

Thanks again

Julianna

Yes, that's what I have been doing, so far so good. My girls don't seem to overeat, so I feed them the amounts that they will eat in 1 day, and it has just worked out to the same volume as before fermenting.

You definitely don't want to put out more fermented feed than they will eat in a day for a variety of reasons.
IMHO, the primary reason it saves on feed is that it eliminates waste (no billing out) and binds up the fines in feed that would be lost because the chickens don't eat the fine material at the bottom of the feeder.

You can make fermented feed yourself from regular feed and some add some grain as well. It is very simple to do. Fill a 5 gallon bucket about half full of feed and add water till the feed is covered. I also dechlorinate the water but that isn't really necessary.
It will pick up wild yeast from the air.
Think sourdough bread.
You can feed it right away if necessary but is better to wait till it starts bubbling.
Here's the biggest thread on the subject.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fermented-feeds-anyone-using-them.645057/

You can make fermented feed yourself from regular feed and some add some grain as well. It is very simple to do. Fill a 5 gallon bucket about half full of feed and add water till the feed is covered. I also dechlorinate the water but that isn't really necessary.
It will pick up wild yeast from the air.
Think sourdough bread.
You can feed it right away if necessary but is better to wait till it starts bubbling.
Here's the biggest thread on the subject.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fermented-feeds-anyone-using-them.645057/
Thank you @ChickenCanoe
:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom