How much Fodder to Feed

I just recently decided to try an experiment with fodder, I only have 9 chickens to feed so i don't need much. I also grind my own wheat for bread. So i just took some wheat and put it in a disposable Tupperware container with holes in the bottom. on day 4 of the test and it is growing like a champ!
thumbsup.gif

This might be great.

I have read in the past that you need 2-3% of their body weight per day. That being said I just throw a big mat in their run and they go crazy. They spread it out during the initial rampage then come back and eat on it all day. The biggest plus I see to fodder is cost....for me it works out to about 3 pennies per pound. If you can't let your girl free range it's the next best thing, that's why I do it year round. A pair of hawks have decided to nest about 100 yards from my girls.
I do add a little grit and calcium to my mix from time to time and I mix up the seeds. I usually use wheat and barley, but have found that if I add sunflower, safflower, and field peas to the mix I get more egg production.

I hope this helps some I am not the end all be all on this stuff, but since no one answered I thought I would.

I also read to feed 2 to 3% of body weight. I have also read to feed 5% body weight. I have 9 laying hens that are eating the fodder (3 barred rocks, 3 Australorps, and 3 brown ones I'm not sure of the kind). I start with 3 cups wheat, which is about 1#. We feed on day 6, and feed the whole tray, which is about 4 to 6#'s, depending on how long you let it grow. I think ours is about 5#'s on feeding day. They eat almost all of it, only leaving some of the root mat. I still feed some Layer pellets and BOSS as a snack during the day to keep my free range girls in our yard and out of the neighbors yard, lol. I also have a one footed turken and a blind rooster I keep separate from the rest of the flock. They get some of the sprouts some days as well. As far as eggs go, I consistently get 6 to 8 eggs a day from all 10 hens. I started growing and feeding fodder because I wanted to feed my chickens organic, and it is too expensive for me to just feed the organic layer feed. The cheapest I can get it in my location is $34 for 50#'s, so I was looking for an alternative that would be less expensive.
I am also wanting to start growing meal worms for them and am learning everything I can to start.
I have been incubating eggs as well and so far have 9 barred rock babies that are 3 weeks old, with more on the way (hopefully). We also have 21 day old chicks coming mid May that we ordered (10 layers, 10 meat and a rare one the hatchery is throwing in). I am going to have to grow a lot more wheat if I want to feed them all fodder, lol. I am looking forward to the challenge of it, but not the cost, lol.
wink.png

Anyone know what age I can start feeding the chicks fodder? I tried a little bit today, but am worried about the seed because it seems a little big for them right now. I did give them some grit in their regular feed.

I also read to feed 2 to 3% of body weight. I have also read to feed 5% body weight. I have 9 laying hens that are eating the fodder (3 barred rocks, 3 Australorps, and 3 brown ones I'm not sure of the kind). I start with 3 cups wheat, which is about 1#. We feed on day 6, and feed the whole tray, which is about 4 to 6#'s, depending on how long you let it grow. I think ours is about 5#'s on feeding day. They eat almost all of it, only leaving some of the root mat. I still feed some Layer pellets and BOSS as a snack during the day to keep my free range girls in our yard and out of the neighbors yard, lol. I also have a one footed turken and a blind rooster I keep separate from the rest of the flock. They get some of the sprouts some days as well. As far as eggs go, I consistently get 6 to 8 eggs a day from all 10 hens. I started growing and feeding fodder because I wanted to feed my chickens organic, and it is too expensive for me to just feed the organic layer feed. The cheapest I can get it in my location is $34 for 50#'s, so I was looking for an alternative that would be less expensive.
I am also wanting to start growing meal worms for them and am learning everything I can to start.
I have been incubating eggs as well and so far have 9 barred rock babies that are 3 weeks old, with more on the way (hopefully). We also have 21 day old chicks coming mid May that we ordered (10 layers, 10 meat and a rare one the hatchery is throwing in). I am going to have to grow a lot more wheat if I want to feed them all fodder, lol. I am looking forward to the challenge of it, but not the cost, lol. ;)
Anyone know what age I can start feeding the chicks fodder? I tried a little bit today, but am worried about the seed because it seems a little big for them right now. I did give them some grit in their regular feed.

I am also wondering when can the chicks have fodder? I was thinking that if I started with a bit a day and kept feeding more and more till they didst eat it all it would help prepare them for moving from their indoor brooder to a tractor without training their digestive system as much

I've read 5% of weight for total feed substitute. Obviously grit, calcium and whatever else you want to supplement should be added. If the birds are layers, protein will be important to add in some form (bugs, scraps...)

There are health benefits to a bird fermenting food, so that might also be included as a supplement, or at least ACV in the water.

Chicks can start fodder at the same age a natural hen would take her chicks into the yard. At the very least when they come off starter at 4 weeks, they could start fodder. Protein is important for young animals so that must be included.

Any grain can sprout into fodder (soaked, then put in a flat and watered everyday,) so buy whatever you can get locally. Some folks feed it more like a sprouted grain at 3 days, and 7 days is the longest I've heard of people growing it.

Seems it's use is dependent on production. What may be reasonable to do for 30 or fewer chickens, can be daunting in larger groups.

Good luck with your experiment!

I use:

2-3 part Chicken Wheat, Organic,
1 parts Whole Barley - Animal Feed, Organic
1 part Whole Oats with Hulls - Animal Feed, Organic
1/3 part sunflower seeds organic with hulls
1 part millet

you can also add fish meal and kelp to your mixture to help bring up protein I am thinking of adding peas to add to protein also.

Back
Top Bottom