How much food and when.

Remps

Hatching
Jul 26, 2020
New to the chicken and duck game. Got 7 chickens, 8 weeks old and 4 ducks, 5 weeks old.
They are in the coop/run full time now. We have a free feeding system for them in the run, no food in the coop. We lock them in the coop at night without food. There coop has lots of grass in it currently.

My question is, should I be feeding them the way I am currently or give them a certain amount in the morning and let them eat greens the rest of the day.

thanks for the help.

It really depends on what you think is best for them! I dont know if you want them to have an all organic diet as of right now or a mix. It really depends on how fast you want that grass gone in their coop. I would leave a feeder with food and have an Ad Libitum sort of system where they have food in their coop, but also have an option to graze outside. Check how much they’re eating and make a decision then!

There coop has lots of grass in it currently.

My question is, should I be feeding them the way I am currently or give them a certain amount in the morning and let them eat greens the rest of the day.

Just grass? That's not a suitable replacement for feed.

It takes a LOT of forage and a better variety of forage to substitute for feed.

I'd say just keep doing what you're doing. Free feeding pellet is better/easier, imo - esp with mixed groups. Between the feed and the grass, they should be in great shape!

I free feed pellet to my chickens, and they get supervised foraging time. The only thing I feed at a particular time in a set amount is fermented feed because it can get moldy if left out.

so so you have a suggestion on my question?

Keep the feeding schedule you have now. I also take away my feed at night due to rodent concerns. Any grass or weeds my chickens nibble on is more of a treat (grass in run died long ago, but I let them out in the afternoon), and I offer them minimal treats on top of that, so their feed is their main source of nutrition.

Back
Top Bottom