How much food is enough for free ranging Red Sex Links?

Von Donnie

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 15, 2014
When they are free ranging during the summer, I don't give them much food. They lay pretty good during the summer months, but now that it's Sept., they are hardly laying at all. Could this be because the bugs and "critters" are fewer? Should I at least be giving them some cracked corn? Or should I always give them more than they get from the "range"? I'm really new at this, so please don't laugh!! Someone said that they are molting. How long does molting last and what should I do while and if they are??

You should always be giving them more. "Critters" and grass are only part of their diet. They need a layer ration as well to give them the other needed nutrients such as calcium for eggs. Just leave them a layer ration that they can supplement the rest of their diet with.

When they are free ranging during the summer, I don't give them much food. They lay pretty good during the summer months, but now that it's Sept., they are hardly laying at all. Could this be because the bugs and "critters" are fewer? Should I at least be giving them some cracked corn? Or should I always give them more than they get from the "range"? I'm really new at this, so please don't laugh!! Someone said that they are molting. How long does molting last and what should I do while and if they are??
You should get a layer food blend.1.5 lbs of feed per bird per week is a common average .Nutrena makes Feather Fixer for birds in molt.

If they are moulting they may cease egg production until such time that their molt is over. In some birds this can take a couple of months.

However, as far as feed goes all of my layers have free access to Layers Pellets, even though they all free range daily. They have a feeder in their coop which is kept topped up and they have a bowl of pellets in their run as well.

I notice that even though we live fronting a creek, and there are lots of bugs around (it's Summer here) they still eat loads of pellets. It gives them all of the nutrients they need to be healthy and lay well, so I find it the easiest way to feed them.

I usually also give a handful of wheat or cracked corn late in the afternoon, so they go to bed with full crops :)

- Krista

HI I have just got two of my own red sex im not to sure how much I should be feeding them either i had them about 3 weeks and have been feeding them about 2 handfuls of laying pellets in the morning and a few dried meal worms in the afternoon is this right ?, they have yet to lay but since I have had them they have been malting but has now seemed to have stopped as you can tell I am a newbie at this so any tips will help thanks
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom