How much food?

GatorInBama

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 18, 2012
Axis, Alabama
I have 14 hens ranging between 3-4 months. How much should I feed (per serving, per day)? Also, at what age should I start adding laying feed, and how much?

As you can tell, this is my first venture in the chicken world. Thanks for any advice.

I don't measure it out but just use a gravity feeder and keep it full. The problem with measuring, as I see it, is the birds highest in the pecking order will get the most, while those lowest will only be allowed to eat when the others are done. If food is available at all times, they all get a chance to eat as much as they need.

I usually give about six cups of starter a day. I scatter it all over the run, making sure everybody gets their share. But it seems that even with the six cups I give them, when I go to check on them they act ilike they weren't even fed yet. I look around to see if there is any food left on the ground and it is gone. Maybe the 5 gallon gravity feed bucket is the way to go. Thanks.

Oh yeah, their crops are very stretchy so they can keep eating almost indefinitely. Then when they go to roost at night, they process it all, poop out a LOT, and by morning their crop is empty so they can start all over again.

Rather than spread it all over, where a lot is probably wasted, I would concentrate it in a feeder and let them eat as much as they need.

Using a feeder really will save you quite a bit of feed. I use an old hub cap, it has just a small lip, and I set it up on cement blocks, they tend to stand on the ground to eat out of it, although some jump up, but they don't bill it out.

As for the amount, the amount should change with the weather and the seasons. If you free range, it will decrease during the summer bug and green plant season. But with the extreme cold of winter, they need more feed.

I take mine feed everyday, I want it about empty towards the end of the day, if a lot is left, I do not bring quite as much the next day, if it is bone empty, I bring a little more. I think it stays fresher when I bring it out each day. But the gravity feed ones are very nice if you are going to be gone for a couple of days.

Mrs K

I do like to feed everyday so I can check on them. Good idea about keeping the feed fresh. It's just that I get up at 3 am to go to work and by the time I get get home at 4 pm, they are trampling on each other to get to me and the food. Maybe I can just make a small feeder the will last 2-3 days so they don't act like they are starving everytime they see me.

There are so many great ideas and opinions on here it's so hard to decide what is best. I guess I'll try a couple and see which one fits me (or should I say the chickens).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom