how much Grit and transitioning outside

FoxRiverRat

Chirping
Feb 5, 2016
Hello all,

a couple quick questions regarding my 1st chicks.

They are 4 weeks old. I started to put a bowl of grit down in the brooder, but will only leave it down for a couple minutes maybe every other day or so. They will just peck away at it non-stop and I don't want to give them too much. I've also sprinkled a bit in their food. How do they know it's grit vs. food and to store it? Should I be giving them more or less? I've tossed a piece of sod in the brooder and some lettuce. other than that they've had only chick starter.

Do I need to slowly adjust them to not having light at night? meaning should I turn off the heat lamp at night before I put them in the coop for good? At week 4, we are about to raise the lamp so they will be at 75 vs. the 80 degrees I was told for week 3. If the nights get down into the 40;s/50;s can they still transition outside if the day temps are 70's? I figure in a week or two (5-6 weeks old) I'll try to transition them?

Thank you!

The general rule is week 4 take away the lamp. It would be smart to harden them off. If they are 4 weeks, begin leaving the light off during the day. Then in a few day, leave it off at night.
Chickens need grit, just let them have it. Give them a dish full of it and let them get their fill (they know what they need and apparently really need some grit)

Back
Top Bottom