1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how much Grit and transitioning outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FoxRiverRat, May 3, 2016.

1. FoxRiverRat

FoxRiverRat Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2016
    Hello all,

a couple quick questions regarding my 1st chicks.

They are 4 weeks old. I started to put a bowl of grit down in the brooder, but will only leave it down for a couple minutes maybe every other day or so. They will just peck away at it non-stop and I don't want to give them too much. I've also sprinkled a bit in their food. How do they know it's grit vs. food and to store it? Should I be giving them more or less? I've tossed a piece of sod in the brooder and some lettuce. other than that they've had only chick starter.

Do I need to slowly adjust them to not having light at night? meaning should I turn off the heat lamp at night before I put them in the coop for good? At week 4, we are about to raise the lamp so they will be at 75 vs. the 80 degrees I was told for week 3. If the nights get down into the 40;s/50;s can they still transition outside if the day temps are 70's? I figure in a week or two (5-6 weeks old) I'll try to transition them?

Thank you!

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    The general rule is week 4 take away the lamp. It would be smart to harden them off. If they are 4 weeks, begin leaving the light off during the day. Then in a few day, leave it off at night.
    Chickens need grit, just let them have it. Give them a dish full of it and let them get their fill (they know what they need and apparently really need some grit)

3. FoxRiverRat

FoxRiverRat Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2016
    Thanks for the reply! I'll start weaning them off the light, and give them more grit. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by