How much Grit do chickens usually need?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ali707, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Ali707

Ali707 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Magnolia, TX
    I have 12 various chickens in my group and I am absolutely amazed an how much crushed granite they are going through. I put it in a container in their yard and it goes really fast. It also is amazing me because my feed store only sells it in small bags and it is expensize.

Is it usual for them to just eat a pile of rocks if they don't actually need it?

Just checking because I would have to say the granite is starting to be the most expensive thing I buy. I do leave it free choice in one of the chick feeders I had left over from when they were babies. They peck at it all the time. But then again, they eat the small pine shavings too.

If you couldn't tell these are my first chickens and they are about 19 weeks old. No eggs yet and counting the days. I am expecting something in February if all goes well, and between the run the feed the supplies, etc, I will never make my money back in the the savings of not buying eggs at the store. Good thing I knew that going into this hobby. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Sounds weird to me. Ours won't eat a small butter tub full in a year. And they have it in the coop from 5 weeks old when they come out of the brooder, free choice.

3. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Can you get your grit from along the road? [if you live near or on a gravel road] I keep my grit and oyster sheel in a feeder all by its self so they have free choice of it.

4. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Perhaps the granite size is too small??? I know the chick grit is tiny, compared to the chicken grit.

5. grendel

grendel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Walbridge ohio
    Here is a idea ,try pet supplies plus.It has cage bird bulk grit. It is .38 cents per pound.Believe me if it is good enough for my parrot ,then it is good enough for my yard birds. also chicken grit is outrageous in price.What 3 pounds for7.99?

6. Luckytaz

Luckytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Rogers, Mn.
    You can buy sand in bags at Home Depot, or Lowes. Much cheaper, and it works fine.

7. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Ours have a dirt floor. Or rather sandy dirt. Is this good for grit?

8. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    sorry no help here my gals free range so I dont provide grit

9. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

I've noticed the more ours free range the less grit they consume,.. very little really and it's always available.

When they have been confined ,(due to the rain and slop that is south Louisiana). They chow down on it,..

10. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Be careful using grit from roadsides as it could contain road salt or other de icing chemicals which could be harmful to your chickens. Also check caged bird grit for added calcium before giving to you non laying hens. Too much calcium can be harmful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by