How much grit?

Shamo Hybrid

Crowing
Jun 6, 2018
So, how much grit should I give to my chickens? I only have 2 and not even sure how much they need so I just sprinkle very little onto their regular feed every time I refill it up...... not much, just a few sprinkles. Some say to put it out as a side dish but my rooster always kicks it everywhere so I just thought it would be better to throw it in with the feed to make sure they actually get the grit.

You've got 1 rooster and 1 hen woah! Thats not good for either of them.How many chickens can your coop hold? If it can hold 3-4 more, buy some adult birds or atleast around the same age as yours. If you put it in their feed, they'll eat around it. They only eat as much as they need atleast in my case.

You've got 1 rooster and 1 hen woah! Thats not good for either of them.How many chickens can your coop hold? If it can hold 3-4 more, buy some adult birds or atleast around the same age as yours. If you put it in their feed, they'll eat around it. They only eat as much as they need atleast in my case.
That actually depends on breed and individual bird. My Old English Game Bantams do very well as pairs. My bantam cochins and laying birds? Not so much.

As for the grit question, just put it in a bowl, separately, and they will eat as much as they need. Need for grit varies a lot depending on diet. A diet of completely processed feed? They'll probably never need grit. If they're free-ranging, they'll need more than if they scratch around in a yard from time to time. There's no hard and fast rule.

If you give them scratch grains or mixed bird seeds as a treat scattered on the ground. Mix in 1 pound of Granite Grit to 40 pounds of Scratch.
Or just scatter some in coop or pen, wherever they scratch.
If you don't give Scratch or seeds. You can mix in 1# to 40# of feed. They won't eat it all, so when you clean the feeder, just scatter any grit leftover on the ground.
20180713_123029.jpg
GC

I wonder if my chickies are getting enough grit. They have an outside grassy pen. There is a small area maybe 4'x4' that has some dirt & gritty ground. It's also gritty around where the fence posts were installed and around the concrete pad to their covered pen. Are they able to scratch out enough grit from these small areas?

I recommend a small can of grit for each pen or coop. I use Vienna sausage cans and wire them up to the pen near the roost after I puncture the bottom of the can so that it doesn't hold water. That way there is NO ZERO chance that the grit will be spilled, covered in bedding or poop or in any way be unavailable to your birds when they want it..

Also when the litter is changed out for fresh you don't lose grit.

I wonder if my chickies are getting enough grit. They have an outside grassy pen. There is a small area maybe 4'x4' that has some dirt & gritty ground. It's also gritty around where the fence posts were installed and around the concrete pad to their covered pen. Are they able to scratch out enough grit from these small areas?
I have gravelly soil and let them free range an hour before sunset daily weather permitting.
But I still have Poultry Grit available. 20180718_091524.jpg .I'm still on my first 25# bag over 2 years for 5 hens most of that time. I feel better to have it available. It's $8.99 for 25# at TSC. You can also get a 5# bag to try. They have Chick Grit for chicks under 2 months, Poultry Grit for those over 2 months. GC

I put it in my feeders and they take what they want. I know a lot of people don't agree with this way, but I have been doing it for years with no problems.

Back
Top Bottom