How much handling is ok, and how do you get them used to you?

I found they are like children. When little, they want you. During the "teen" years, they rebel. When full grown, they come back. Mine now will come running to me (looking for treats). Some will squat for some petting.

The last batch of chicks I had in the spring was a mixed group of birds with friendliness varying along breed types. All were handled from young birds but they seem to go through a wild phase as they matured. The Australorps and Kraienkoppes were the worst.

Then something interesting happened.

We changed the housing arrangements to keep each hen with her own breed of rooster at night which requires us to pick up each bird at dusk. We were quiet, moved slowly and talked to each bird; stroking them a little on the sides of their heads around their ears to soothe them. As they calmed down after capture, they started to murmur back to us. In a few days the wildest hens were unruffled about being caught, allowing us to easily pick them up at dusk. During the day, we can't just pick up those particular birds as we can the Orpingtons and Sussex, but they aren't afraid of us and will eat from our hands with the others.

I love my silkies! The five adults are very friendly to me & my grand children. I have taught the kids to approach the chickens very slowly and to speak softly. The silkies allow the children to pet them and pick them up. I treat the birds with a little corn so they always approach me when I enter their coop which is a 30x40 pole barn where they free range. I have a couple of silkie babies that I purchased when I got my first silkie rooster about a month ago. I have them caged in a wire rabbit cage that my husband reinforced with very small chicken wire. It is sitting on a card table for easy access and I have a heat lamp for night time. (Minnesota). I handle them all of the time as do the grand kids. I have an area of the barn that has a cement floor & the rest is dirt with one area of hay bales (that's where they like to lay eggs). I also have two 12x 12 horse stalls that my hubby has secured for any time I feel a need to isolate any of them (we used to have horses). On occasion I will let the silkies out in my yard but only if I & the Golden & Rotty are out there because of hawks & fox.
smile.png

Last edited:
I have four silkie babies (about 2/12 or 3 months) that were getting very flighty. I started feeding them meal worms from my hand to try to calm them down. Now they come running and practically jump in my arms for their treat
lau.gif
I have a new hatch of chicks that are 1 week today, needless to say I started with them early to avoid the issue!

You can't handle them too much - the more the better.

However, whether or not they will grow into extremely friendly pets who will jump into your lap or crowd at your feet begging to be cuddled, a lot depends on breed and individual temperament.

I have a mixed flock. The Wyandottes are the least inclined to friendliness, and would rather run from me than allow themselves to be picked up. The EE's are the most friendly, literally jumping into my lap at every opportunity. All were handled a lot as chicks. Even among the friendly EE's there are varying degrees of friendliness.

Age also plays a role. Chicks go through a stage around six or eight weeks of age where they would rather run and play than sit still and be cuddled - kind of like their human counterparts.

Back
Top Bottom