How much hardware cloth should I get for my coop?

Yaretzi098

Hatching
Oct 2, 2023
Hello I am currently in the process of planning out my chicken coop, I was looking into hardware cloth for the run but am not sure how much to buy for a 8 feet by 14 feet run. It would be great if anyone could help!

Hello I am currently in the process of planning out my chicken coop, I was looking into hardware cloth for the run but am not sure how much to buy for a 8 feet by 14 feet run. It would be great if anyone could help!
The entire run should be protected with HC....I used the 48" on the lower section of mine with 12" of it as an apron. Attach with lag screws and washers for the most secure. Regular staples won't work but just to hold it until you can get the more secure screws in. Some folks use those fence staples that are driven in by a hammer but I found the lag screws were easier to run in with a drill motor. Best of luck and keep us posted!! Welcome to BYC!!!

Sketch out your run construction on graph paper.
It can take some finalaging to plan your framing so it matches the HC sizes for the best attachement.

2x4" Welded wire that comes in rolls is what is typically used on runs. Can purchase 3 or 5 ft height. This heavy guage wire fencing stops the daytime predators from entering the run.

Hardware cloth is typically used on the coop to stop weasels from entering and killing the entire flock at night.

2x4" Welded wire that comes in rolls is what is typically used on runs. Can purchase 3 or 5 ft height. This heavy guage wire fencing stops the daytime predators from entering the run.

Hardware cloth is typically used on the coop to stop weasels from entering and killing the entire flock at night.

Agree! That's what we do.
The 2x4 fence wire is stronger against large predators like dogs, and the cost savings allows us to make bigger runs / yards.
In the daytime the chickens can see what's coming and make some effort to protect themselves (works best when a run is large).
A raccoon can reach through the 2x4 no problem, but the birds should have long since skedaddled.
At night, they can't protect themselves, even from rats (in my horrible experience). So they absolutely need the hardware cloth on the coop.
During the day, aerial predators tend to be more successful than anything else. If it's a run with a roof, no worries. If it's a yard (our choice), netting or other protection may be needed. We haven't needed it yet because we have dense tree cover and chickens that have trained each other to stay alert and run for cover. I've noticed that last element varies between flocks. It's instinctive for them to be reactive, but to react most effectively seems to be taught by other chickens to some degree.

Back
Top Bottom