1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much heat in the coop??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wundernurse, Mar 12, 2009.

1. wundernurse

wundernurse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Atlanta
    My youngest chicks are 6 weeks and I wanted to move my 7 chicks to their coop. The rest are 7 and 9 weeks. The night time lows are mid 40's. Should I use a 125 or 250 watt heat bulb in their draft free coop?? Thanks for any advice and info

2. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    I would give them a light in the coop and then they have it if they need it.

3. luvarabhorses

luvarabhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Hector, Ar
    I am no expert but I'll tell you what I did. I put three 75 watt bulbs in different areas but within about 8 inches of each other. The chicks seem to be pretty happy.

4. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    I use a 250 watt heat lamp. They have plenty of room to get away from it if they're too warm.

5. luvarabhorses

Oct 1, 2008
    Hector, Ar
    I think that's what most people do. [​IMG]

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I've gotten away from using the 250w bulbs... too much electricity. I use the dome-lamps with a 60 watt bulb, and they do just fine. You might have to lower it a little more than a 250, but it works. As they get a little older, you can raise it up to decrease the heat, or switch to a 40w bulb. After our $585 electric bill in January, all unneccessary lights went away. [​IMG]

7. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain - you preached us all last fall that you did not heat your coops in Alaska - and convinced me, in Vermont, that I should not heat mine. Then you report that you had a $585 electric bill in January due to ... what exactly?

That's a lot of juice!

PS. I didn't listen to you, [​IMG] I got a 100w heat emitter that I use only on the very coldest nights ~ maybe 10-15 nights a year.
    PPS. My electric bill went up from ~$30 to ~$40 due to the heated pet bowl (60w), my new pellet stove, and the occasional heat emitter.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  8. luvarabhorses

Oct 1, 2008
    Hector, Ar
    What is the age of the birds we are talking about here? I know the initial post was 6-7 weeks, I have week old chicks that graduated from a cardboard box in the bathroom with one 60 watt bulb to an outside brooder with three 60 or 75 watt bulbs, but I live in Arkansas and it gets down in the low 40's at night. Does that sound about right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by