How much human interaction do my hens need?

Actually, some of the most snuggly chickens are those raised from baby chicks and handled frequently.
I've never bought Pullets or Hens, but I agree raising yourself instead of Broody Hen raised is the way to get friendly chickens.
@bittyflock
Try hand feeding your chickens bugs like mealworms, soldier fly larvae or my Chickens favorite is live crickets and grasshoppers. My property has thousands during the summer. They know right where to go when I let them Free Range.
Sometimes I find a sluggish Grasshopper on a cold morning and hand feed to a hen, watch your fingers! GC

Last edited:
Actually, some of the most snuggly chickens are those raised from baby chicks and handled frequently.
Yeppers, acclimation.
I still won't let them jump on me uninvited.

When I was still brooding in the house, I'd handle the chicks frequently, just so they'd know they 'wouldn't die' if I held them.
Had a couple of Lt Brahma that never acclimated, they would continue screaming no matter how long or frequently they were handled. Lo and Behold one of those birds, at about 3-4 months old, got close to me in the coop by jumping on the nest perch. I reached out to touch her and she stood there, I touched her all over and she never budged, I picked her up and she was chill, she didn't wag her tail or purr, but she clearly enjoyed the 'cuddle'. I put her down and she walked away calmly. I was a bit gobsmacked. She continued to come up to me and stand there until I picked her up for a cuddle. This went on for a few months, I can't remember the exact timing, then she stopped. She was still pretty chill, as was her sister who did the same but less so. As much as I loved the look and demeanor of those birds, they were gluttons and lousy layers, and didn't fit the program here, so they had to go. Luckily they got to go to a pet home with little kids.

I still won't let them jump on me uninvited.
I don't either. My Barred Rocks never succeeded.
Some of my Golden Comets did till they were nearly a year old. But only when I stooped down to dump an outside waterer or something. I just kept pushing them off my shoulder or sometimes my head. I quickly learned to wear a hat when going into their pen. GC

Some birds do like snuggling, some birds never like it, no matter how much handled. I agree with the sentiment of most of the posters - don't feel guilty. You are providing what they need, and how much you enjoy spending with them, should be the guide line.

Back
Top Bottom