How much human interaction do my hens need?

bittyflock

Chirping
Apr 29, 2019
San Rafael
Hey all,
Since my last post, where I described losing my free-rangers to a bobcat, I built a run and got two new hens. Our coop and run are tucked behind a shed in the corner of our yard. When our old hens free ranged, we saw them all the time and they often visited our back door to say hello or ask for treats. Now that our new ladies are stuck in the run, aside from highly supervised free range time, I don’t see them as much.

I know it’s obviously on me to visit them, but I haven’t gotten into the groove of a new routine yet. I try to visit 2-3 times a day and strive for an hour of free range time but it doesn’t always happen. And I’ve gone crazy on predator proofing and self contained food and watering and I could therefore practically leave them for several days if I wanted to, but it feels a bit like cruelty that they don’t have as much interaction as I’m used to providing.

How much human interaction should they get? I’d love to bond with them and know this won’t happen unless my family and I devote time to making it happen, but the reality of every day life gets in the way. In your opinion, what is the minimum amount of time that we should spend with them to raise happy hens?

I hate to break it to you, as long as chickens have their own kind, they are perfectly content and happy.

This isn't to say that they won't be enthused and overjoyed to see you, especially if you come bearing edible things. Then their joy will know no bounds.

Relax and just make your encounters as enjoyable for yourself as it is to your chickens in the times you're able to interact.

You did as you should. They are safe and you are visiting enough to make sure they are well. In time you will see how they act and run to the gate for you, and this will let you know they are happy and regard you highly.

My chooks will eat from my hand, and they can skip days seeing me without any issues. Keep their run, food and treats in good standings/proportions and they will thrive. Sorry for those losses and you are being a responsible keeper in your current plan.

But some chickens can get addicted to it. My nearly twelve-year old Brahma hen likes to snuggle under my arm pit just as she did as a chick over a decade ago. She can never get enough.
I'm sure they can become habituated to human interaction...
...especially when their keeper is a chicken cuddler ;)
I don't spend much time with my birds, twice a day, maybe more to gather eggs in freezing weather, and certainly am not a cuddler,
but they still come running when they hear the door open,
then ignore me when they see I don't have a treat pan in my hand. :lol:

I visit my Chickens 4 to 5 times a day, to open the coops, check for eggs, give Scratch Grains, let them out to Free range an hour before sunset (weather permitting), and close coops and pens after sunset.
....but they don't need human affection.

But some chickens can get addicted to it.
Frosty my Barred Rock hen wants me to pick her up every time I visit.
After she gets her share of Scratch, she comes to me to be held, if I don't leave the pen quick enough.
If I'm taking a picture she is always trying to get in the shot. 20200125_091347_resized.jpg . GC

I visit my Chickens 4 to 5 times a day, to open the coops, check for eggs, give Scratch Grains, let them out to Free range an hour before sunset (weather permitting), and close coops and pens after sunset.

Frosty my Barred Rock hen wants me to pick her up every time I visit.
After she gets her share of Scratch, she comes to me to be held, if I don't leave the pen quick enough.
If I'm taking a picture she is always trying to get in the shot.View attachment 2027709. GC
I’d love to raise a snuggler - or at least be able to pick my girls up without having to chase them when I need or want to. They certainly have no interest in such a thing right now, but am hoping that with more routine visits it may eventually happen.

Actually, some of the most snuggly chickens are those raised from baby chicks and handled frequently.

One of my newest chickens follows me everywhere, jumps into my lap when I present one, and would snuggle all day if I didn't have better things to do. I attribute this to having to doctor a bloody toe on the day-old chick, and I had to also treat her for shipping stress. So she was handled very frequently in her first week to keep her from dying and her toe from getting infected. (It later died and fell off). She imprinted on me and now she considers me hers.

Back
Top Bottom