How much interaction is needed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by baemiller, Mar 5, 2015.

1. baemiller

baemiller Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2015
    I have 10 chicks they are still in their inside brooder. I just brought them home and I am waiting one week till I make changes to the environment. But I was wondering for the temperament of the flock how much should I be around them? Do they need to hear my voice? Should I be handling g them more often then just once maybe twice a day to clean out their brooder?
    I want a happy flock and I want them to be comfortable around me but I don't want them to get sick and vice versa. I have heard some stories.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Home much touching? And when should it be okay?

2. Clearly

Clearly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2015
    Seattle Suburb
    Touching = stress = sick.

But you're right, there is a balance, and I think it's best for you to judge that balance based on their behavior. Chicks fear things coming from above, so I gently snake my hand down the side, then slowly approach with a flat hand, Palm up. They are usually okay with this, and that is how I interract with them the most. Speaking to them with my hand in there so they learn my voice, sometimes stroking them with a finger.

But I do have to grab them at times: half to check them over and the other half to move them to my living room on a towel where I can interract with them, yet they feel safe because they're all together. I feel this is better than just holding one while it cries for its family, or the family cries for it (yes, they know when one is missing).

If they seemed stressed, let them be. Otherwise absolutely interract with them. It's good for them to get to know you and humans, but raising chicks is ALSO good for YOU. You need to experience them too! :)

You're the best judge of their temperament, not a "per day" or "per hour".

Enjoy them. :)

3. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    you need to handle them the first week maybe more than afterwards to check for pasty butt, if one has it and you don't keep the vent clear, they stop up and die.....

if you can reach to get them from the side instead of from above them, the stress level is much less.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I found to keep chickens tame it's best to spend time with them from chick right through to maturity. I've had tame-tame chicks go "wild" and skittish as they grew up, because I didn't spent time with them any more. I have a little hen here at the moment that used to come sit on my lap, but after neglecting to give her attention for a few weeks I cannot come near her. It also depends on the breeds, some breeds love people, some are skittish and need a lot of work. The best thing to do would be to spend as much time as you can with your birds as they grow up, talk to them lots, give them treats now and then when you visit, so they associate you with good things. Don't worry about handling them too much. If they enjoy it, no harm will be done.

1 person likes this.
  5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    My chicks are raised in a brooder sitting on a table with an access built into the side. I handle my chicks often, taking them out for prolonged cuddling. They are tame from day one and are easy to handle as adults. Instead of grabbing them, I teach them to step onto my hand so I can gently lift them out.

Those of my chickens who are hard to catch and handle were raised in a top access brooder and approached from above. I need no more proof that it was this mishandling that's responsible for them being skittish six years later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by