1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much is enough?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SilverPhoenixNS, Jan 8, 2012.

1. SilverPhoenixNS

SilverPhoenixNS Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Windsor, Nova Scotia
    I am wondering how much layer ration a duck needs to eat in one day? I just need to know a number to see how many I can afford to get right now.

2. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    My 3 ducks get a 32 oz cup and a half every day. They rarely eat more so they don't get more.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    What breed of duck? Calls and Runners need much less than Pekins and Aylesburies (I'm pointing out the obvious, [​IMG] but if you've already decided on the breed, you can get a better answer with that piece of information)

There's a table in Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks that shows feed requirements . . . let me grab that . . . .

Phooey! Can't find it! [​IMG]

Found it!

Okay:

It's a detailed table, but the range of feed is 0.15 - 0.25 pounds of 12-14% protein feed per duck per day for 2-3 pound ducks . . . .

up to 0.40 - 0.60 pounds of 16% protein feed per duck per day for 8 - 9 pound ducks including Muscovies.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by