how much is reasonable to pay for wood duck eggs?

The hatch rate is low on them. Really low sometimes. A lot of them just aren't fertile and sometimes a lot are fertile and do hatch. I think it's better if you just buy a pair of adults and hatch their eggs next year. You can get an adult pair for $50-100 easily. You will probably spend more buying eggs and trying to get one to hatch. It's really hard to get the ducklings to start eating too so you're probably not going to want just one or two which is what you might end up with if you buy a dozen eggs off eBay.

I've seen them on eBay for like $10 an egg, is this reasonable and is there anywhere else to get them besides eBay? what temperature and humidity levels do they need to be kept at and also what is the hatch rate?

any help is greatly appreciated.
I agree with Kessel23, you really don't want eggs. Be extremely wary of anyone selling hatching eggs from wild type ducks, they are often a scam. And we're getting out of breeding season now too. These types of duck eggs do not do well at all with shipping, you would most likely not have any hatch.
And any eggs should be the same price as the duckling (usually $50, in the case of woodies) since those types of ducks only lay one or two dozen eggs a year, if you're lucky.

You have the permits to raise wood ducks? You have to have a federal and sometimes both a state permit to own them. You have to have more permits to sell them so make sure anybody you getting them from has it (they should be making sure you have the right paper work also).
You don't need any permits to raise them if you buy then from someone with the required permits and they are federally marked. You just need the paperwork to prove they are legally sourced.

The permits very from state to state . I live in Ohio I have to have a permit and toe clip for native species , for non native species I don't need a permit as long as they are pinioned . example is European Shell duck should be pinioned . No permit required Mute Swans ,pinioned no permit required , Wood ducks permit required and pinioned with a toe clip . Mallards the same Golden eye the same . In some states you do not need a permit you have to check out the laws in your state with the local game warder he will usually tell you what you need .

I am sorry,I didn't answer your question . I don't recommend buying eggs. It is best to wait until fall and buy a young pair . At that point you know what you are getting and not taking a chance that the overpriced eggs you bought will hatch after being abused by the postal service .

I've seen them on eBay for like $10 an egg, is this reasonable and is there anywhere else to get them besides eBay? what temperature and humidity levels do they need to be kept at and also what is the hatch rate?

any help is greatly appreciated.
$50-150 is probably a normal price. I got my wood duck for free! her mom abandoned her.

Back
Top Bottom