How much is too much??

I have flock of 15 and I was wondering how much scratch is too much I have a feeder that they use that has pellets and I throw scratch feed out as well and I was wondering if scratch is a every day thing or is that too frequent??
I feed some scratch twice a day. I personally feed a higher protein ration which gives me a bit of leeway to feed the lower protein scratch. I can't really say the amount I feed as it isn't an exact science with me. I toss some out in different areas. If you are feeding a 16% ration you should severely limit the scratch. I like scratch as a behavioral enrichment, as well as it allows me to observe my birds and see they are all doing okay.

WHAT IS SCRATCH FEED!?
It's generally a mix of corn, oats, and wheat, but can be any mix of grains you toss out that chickens scratch around for. It's different than a ration which should always be available, and should always be fed in a feeder, and not tossed on the ground.

I feed some scratch twice a day. I personally feed a higher protein ration which gives me a bit of leeway to feed the lower protein scratch. I can't really say the amount I feed as it isn't an exact science with me. I toss some out in different areas. If you are feeding a 16% ration you should severely limit the scratch. I like scratch as a behavioral enrichment, as well as it allows me to observe my birds and see they are all doing okay.
Ok thank you very much

Scratch is considered a treat and should be limited to or not exceed 10% of total diet from feed. The feed has the protein and nutrients they need for growth and maintenance.

I have flock of 15 and I was wondering how much scratch is too much I have a feeder that they use that has pellets and I throw scratch feed out as well and I was wondering if scratch is a every day thing or is that too frequent??
I toss out a heaping 1/4 cup measure of Scratch Grains 20160818_181822.jpg for my three 2 1/2 year olds as a mid-morning treat scattered over a large area in their pen over top of leaves and straw.
I also have seven 12 week olds that I started to offer Scratch to at 10 weeks scattered in their own pen. 20181105_091038.jpg I give less Scratch per bird, the same heaping 1/4 cup measure as a mid-morning snack.
I added a 7# bag of Cardinal mix to 25# of Scratch. Not shown in Pic. GC

Back
Top Bottom