How much is too much??

oldhenlikesdogs

Grateful
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jul 16, 2015
Wisconsin
I have flock of 15 and I was wondering how much scratch is too much I have a feeder that they use that has pellets and I throw scratch feed out as well and I was wondering if scratch is a every day thing or is that too frequent??
I feed some scratch twice a day. I personally feed a higher protein ration which gives me a bit of leeway to feed the lower protein scratch. I can't really say the amount I feed as it isn't an exact science with me. I toss some out in different areas. If you are feeding a 16% ration you should severely limit the scratch. I like scratch as a behavioral enrichment, as well as it allows me to observe my birds and see they are all doing okay.

oldhenlikesdogs

Grateful
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jul 16, 2015
Wisconsin
WHAT IS SCRATCH FEED!?
It's generally a mix of corn, oats, and wheat, but can be any mix of grains you toss out that chickens scratch around for. It's different than a ration which should always be available, and should always be fed in a feeder, and not tossed on the ground.

Bigjohn840

Chirping
Nov 2, 2018
Alabama
My Coop
My Coop
I feed some scratch twice a day. I personally feed a higher protein ration which gives me a bit of leeway to feed the lower protein scratch. I can't really say the amount I feed as it isn't an exact science with me. I toss some out in different areas. If you are feeding a 16% ration you should severely limit the scratch. I like scratch as a behavioral enrichment, as well as it allows me to observe my birds and see they are all doing okay.
Ok thank you very much

Melky

Spring has sprung!
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
Edgewood, KY
Scratch is considered a treat and should be limited to or not exceed 10% of total diet from feed. The feed has the protein and nutrients they need for growth and maintenance.

GC-Raptor

Free Ranging
Jul 26, 2016
Connecticut, USA
I have flock of 15 and I was wondering how much scratch is too much I have a feeder that they use that has pellets and I throw scratch feed out as well and I was wondering if scratch is a every day thing or is that too frequent??
I toss out a heaping 1/4 cup measure of Scratch Grains 20160818_181822.jpg for my three 2 1/2 year olds as a mid-morning treat scattered over a large area in their pen over top of leaves and straw.
I also have seven 12 week olds that I started to offer Scratch to at 10 weeks scattered in their own pen. 20181105_091038.jpg I give less Scratch per bird, the same heaping 1/4 cup measure as a mid-morning snack.
I added a 7# bag of Cardinal mix to 25# of Scratch. Not shown in Pic. GC

Top Bottom