how much is too much ?

I'm sorry that something that should be fun is turning out to be such a worry for you. Sometimes, things don't need to be perfect and good enough is good enough. My coop and run aren't in a perfect spot, because there isn't a perfect spot on my property. The chickens seem happy, anyway. I chose to have the coop closer to the house, because of winter chores. I hope you eventually figure out what you want to do.

Coops and runs can be as expensive or as cheap as you want them to be. You can use fancy materials, plain but sturdy materials or scavenge materials. Chickens seem to like them all. I'm thinking that no matter what you decide on any of this, it will all work out.

We put our second coop on wheels, working out great so far, just need to figure out how to attach the run.
We built this for under 150.oo with a bunch or recycled materials.
And just happened to have an old hauler with no title, so it was perfect.

58800_coop2.jpg

Quote:
I understand it will never be perfect, I'm ok with that, although I don't like it, but I could deal with that. It won't kill me, but worrying might
wink.png
I also understand that the chickens or ducks don't care how much you've spent on their housing and run long as they have what they need to survive and be happy. More likely, the owners are unsatisfied. But in this case, I think we all are. Their current location is bad. When it rains, it's like a river going through their run. I've tried everything in the book and nothing seemed to work, beside, it's a long and cold trip from the house their coop. Carrying water and food 100ft each away 2-3 times a day can seem longer distance in the bitter cold. The other day, I couldn't open the run's door to get to them because it was frozen. So the best thing we decided to move their coop/run closer to the side of the house which it will be very close to the side entry and garage, but that's the first thing you'll see from the street and from our driveway. We live in a new development, and our house use to be a model house until they sold this one and build another model house, tough times in real a state I guess ! But that is why I didn't want it to be an eye sore.

Like yours, there isn't a perfect spot on the property
sad.png
So that's why I decided going portable will be the best thing, but having 3 ducks and 22 chickens, that won't be easy, so it seems. Thank you and maybe sooner than later, I will figure something out before it kills me
th.gif

Last edited:
I've never seen dog kennels and runs like that!!
ep.gif
I'd love to have 10 please.

It's hard making something that large portable. I've seen buildings on skids, but you really have to know what you're doing when you're moving them. It
doesn't take much to tip one over.

There are a lot of cute coops. Nicely landscaped you could make your coop part of the charm of the entrance to your home. My coop is smack dab in the middle
of the front of my property. I love driving up and seeing my chickens, makes me smile every time!

Quote:
It is very difficult to be portable that size too. I thought the challenge was to find wheels that could carry them but forgot about how to move it :))) I don't have any machines let along having one that moves them. You're right, it doesn't take much to tip them over. If I find them at a cheap price, I'll send some over
smile.png

I was thinking this morning that I have to give up on something. Portable for stable or the size. I have 25 in all chicken/ducks, so size I can't go smaller, or else they're going to have two coops instead of 1 large one. So many options, making up my mind based on the budget and the oddly shaped backyard is taking it's toll on me. I don't want to giveaway any of my chickens or ducks
sad.png
They became apart of our family.

Watching the chickens makes me smile too. Love how they interact with each other, priceless
big_smile.png

Quote:
How many chickens how many ducks? If it is vaguely around half and half, that would lend itself REALLY well to making two coops, and you might even be better off that way. Since ducks need rather different facilities than chickens.

The duck "coop" would not have to be much, structure-wise, since ducks are basically outdoors creatures, it could be a large portable run type thing (like a hoop-house as big as you can build it and still be portable) with a small "hut" in for shelter and a kiddie pool for water. The hut and pool you'd schlep around manually, removing them from the run when you're moving it and then chucking 'em back in once it's got where it's going.

Do not forget, though, that portables are never going to be as predatorproof as a permanently-located coop. So that is always a tradeoff.

Honestly if I were in your shoes I'd probably get in a coupla hundred dollars' worth of roadbase to raise the area where the coop is now and leave it there. My coop is about 80-100' from the house and I carry water for 24 chickens and 6 turkeys from the house thru a lot more cold and snow than you get, and my horse barn is about 3x as far although it does have its own faucet; it is not going to kill ya to have the chickens where they are now, and have them SAFE, if you can just solve the drainage problem which I don't see why you couldn't with a bit of "fill".

JMHO, good luck, have fun,

Pat

I only have 3 ducks,21 hens and 1 baby chic that is 5 days old. But planning on gettin 3 more ducks this spring because 2 of them died, one from illness and the other one my brother's puppy killed it. Anyways, you're right making additional housing for ducks would be best. The link below is a picture of where I'm thinking. It's still far, but I think I could manage.
The shed they have now is plastic. We originally got it for storage, didn't have chickens and ducks at that time. I've put two heated lights and left the door open just a little bit so they can come in or go out and it's still cold. That's the only ventilation they have. I also have a medium and small sized coop there too. I'm just worried that they are cold. Thank you, you've helped me and gave me ideas
smile.png

I started with a 4X4' portable pen for 3 Silkies, 3 yrs ago. ( I had dreamed of having these walking dust mops since I was 7 years old, over 50 years ago!) This pen is now the "hospital" pen. Built a 4X8 building (just like building a house) that has a slanted metal roof 6-7'. Building is raised on a patio stone frame with nest boxes (that do not get used) and a 18X8' enclosed run. Now have 20 Silkies and 10 Guineas residing. They free range during the day. Built a small enclosure 9X36' for the guineas using hog panels, chicken wire wrap and "roof". Used shipping boxes 2X3X2' pine for "houses. The guineas used it unitl I started enlarging it...they don't like changes. That is when they went back to the silkies who raised them. Used my dog's kennel 12X8 with sun screen roof and chicken wire wrap (the babies just walked thru the chain link) for the Cochins that are now 10! There are 2 "igloo" large dog units in here. The chickens love them and they are floored and easy to clean and gather eggs from. Went back and enlarged the guineas area with "t" posts and 6' chicken wire wrap with bird netting over the top to a 30'X18' run for the recently acquired Sexlink, Barred Rock, and Ameraucanas. The moral of this story is you can make a "coop" of many different things for various amounts of money. I did all the labor myself and found the most expensive items are the lumber, posts, and wire. Of these four areas I have approximately $1,000. investment. Hog panels are strong, inexpensive, moveable, and versitable. They can be attached together or "hinged" by using various sized "hog" rings. AND YES ALL OF YOU ARE CORRECT! THIS "HOBBY" is CRAZY ADDICTIVE!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom