How much land should I be looking for?

If I had a chance to do it all over again we would have went for land. Bought a house we wanted on three acres, really wish we had more.

Yeah I have to agree with that, if having land for farming/animals is a priority. We went for a convenient location and as such paid a higher price for that convenience but there's not much usable land on this lot. I showed hubby some farms that were 30 miles further out, with less convenience access routes - they weren't super cheap but for the same price as our house we could have 20 acres with a barn and fenced pastures. Maybe after retirement that would be more feasible, for now hubby's quite happy with his short commute times.

We spent over a year looking for our home. We had things that were required: no HOA and no deed restrictions, at least 5 acres, no really close neighbors, privacy and some trees. And all for under $200k. In Central Texas. We weren't compromising. After about 14 months we finally found an abandoned foreclosure with 10 acres, custom 2700 sq ft home, fully perimeter fenced with pasture and huge oak trees, two 2-car garages with attics, a single car garage with an attic (my tack room), a huge master bath with a jaccuzi. For just over 180k. Patience and willingness to stick to your guns on what you want. We've spent the last 6+ years building a loafing barn for the horses, putting up a 1/3 acre dog fence, a round pen, chicken coop, and many other improvements. So figure out what you want, what you're willing to compromise and what you won't and then try to be patient as you look at home after home after home that isn't at all what was advertised!

We spent over a year looking for our home. We had things that were required: no HOA and no deed restrictions, at least 5 acres, no really close neighbors, privacy and some trees. And all for under $200k. In Central Texas. We weren't compromising. After about 14 months we finally found an abandoned foreclosure with 10 acres, custom 2700 sq ft home, fully perimeter fenced with pasture and huge oak trees, two 2-car garages with attics, a single car garage with an attic (my tack room), a huge master bath with a jaccuzi. For just over 180k. Patience and willingness to stick to your guns on what you want. We've spent the last 6+ years building a loafing barn for the horses, putting up a 1/3 acre dog fence, a round pen, chicken coop, and many other improvements. So figure out what you want, what you're willing to compromise and what you won't and then try to be patient as you look at home after home after home that isn't at all what was advertised!
Wow I wish I had your patience, we only got a 10% discount over the appraised value and are trying to find ways to add value and acreage to our current property. KUDOS!!!

Thank you so much everyone for all the feedback.

Just in case anyone was curious, I had aspirations of moving to Vermont, PA, VA, and SC.

All have some really nice options right now. Just been doing some window shopping for the moment, but thank you all for confirming that I have been doing my research correctly.

I would hate to be anywhere within city limits. I grew up as a city boy. It sucked. Everyone in my family (and I mean EVERYONE) is not sure where I got the "farm-bug" from.
I live an hour from work too, but it is worth it. I would never move back towards a city. After getting to live in an area "off the beaten path, away from the city for a few years, I wouldn't prefer it any other way.

I never really saw myself enjoying this kind of lifestyle and I cant wait to see where things lead from here.

If possible move further away from the city. You'll find way much better deals, home on a hundred+ acres for what you'd pay near a city for a postage stamp of land.
Your near Buffalo? You guys get like 20 foot of snow every winter also don't you?
If I had a chance to do it all over again we would have went for land. Bought a house we wanted on three acres, really wish we had more. We might sometime look elsewhere but buying a house is not a fun experience IMHO. Sure wasn't like buying a car.

Yes, unfortunately near Buffalo. And yes, unfortunately a lot of snow.

I have gotten to see just how much it sucks having long winters when you care for poultry. It definitely makes everything more difficult.

However, I have never minded snow, I enjoy curling up on the couch near the fireplace, while I watch the wind drift the snow through the fields. Its the sub zero temperatures that really take their toll....

When you have a plow and a 4 wheeler, it helps things a lot. Maybe Im immune to it because I have never known a single year without a winter so I just have found ways to make the best of it I guess....

I have gotten to see just how much it sucks having long winters when you care for poultry. It definitely makes everything more difficult.
It does...but....if you're set up well, it's much easier.

As much as I dislike the snow and cold at times, especially since age has taken away the 'playing' in the snow portion and dealing with snow clearing is much harder (I too live in a lake effect snow belt) I would not want to live where I didn't have snow and the drastic seasonal changes....also would not want to live where it's hot for much of the year.

Totally understand that.

I don't think I would mind living where it is hot most of the year, but then I guess there would be trouble with mud rather than snow.

If anyone has ducks, you know mud is a duck magnet. Or maybe I should say ducks are mud magnets. Either way mud and ducks are not a good combination.....

Back
Top Bottom