How much land?

I have 3 acres, but my 14 chickens don't range over all of it by any means. Maybe slightly over an acre? it really depends on the topography. My chickens WON'T cross an open field, but they love love love an open grassy yard with big trees in. They run from tree to tree all the way to the woods -- and they go only about 10 to 20 feet into the woods.

They mostly stick to the area between the house and the coop, with the occasional wild foray into the woods across the yard.

I had three Brown Leghorns once on my 9000 sq/ft lot which has about 3000 sq/ft of usable chicken forage. It's just a regular residential backyard with a lawn, etc. But, I had a hard time trying to get those chickens to take any feed.

I always had free choice commercial feed and oystershell available. They just never did much more than nibble at it.

The lot is 75 feet wide and their coop is on one side and sometimes they will spend all day on the other side.

They sure dug up the bugs though! One time I saw them sit on an ant hill, gave it a few scratches and ate the ants as they came out. Over and over, 'til no more ants came out. Love that.

Back
Top Bottom