How much larger for compost in run?

Ste

Songster
12 Years
Nov 13, 2007
Tracyton, Kitsap, WA
We have an 8x8 garden shed that we are turning into a coop. We have pulled off all the drywall and insulation. There are two slide windows, a regular sized entry door and a wood floor. We plan on putting a run to one side of the coop and building a "lean to" type storage space off the back to store pellets for our stove. We have 10 chicks currently housed in a brooder in our garage and need to get to work on our coop and run but I have a few questions. We had chickens in San Diego and we are now in Washington so it seems much different. Different weather, different plants and trees.

1)To the left of our coop is a compost pile. If we enclose it into our run how much larger do we need to make the run?

2)Is it ok to have a stump in the run or do we need to dig it up?

3)There is a large cedar tree in our yard and the plan is to put the run near this tree. Is this ok?

4)Can spray foam be used inside of the coop or will the hens peck at it?

1)To the left of our coop is a compost pile. If we enclose it into our run how much larger do we need to make the run?

2)Is it ok to have a stump in the run or do we need to dig it up?

3)There is a large cedar tree in our yard and the plan is to put the run near this tree. Is this ok?

4)Can spray foam be used inside of the coop or will the hens peck at it?
1) The chickens will dig through and spread out the compost throughout the whole pen. My theory is "make the run as large as possible" so I would fence as much for them as you can, but don't expect the compost to stay in the nice, neat pile it is without their help.
2) Perfect - they will use it for enrichment. Jump up on it, sit on it during the day etc. I would definitely leave it there. In fact, I hauled in some stumps just to put in for them
smile.png

3) I believe it would be okay. Nice for shade.
4) They will peck at it.

1) The chickens will dig through and spread out the compost throughout the whole pen. My theory is "make the run as large as possible" so I would fence as much for them as you can, but don't expect the compost to stay in the nice, neat pile it is without their help.
2) Perfect - they will use it for enrichment. Jump up on it, sit on it during the day etc. I would definitely leave it there. In fact, I hauled in some stumps just to put in for them
smile.png

3) I believe it would be okay. Nice for shade.
4) They will peck at it.
Thanks for the response and the information. I thought that cedar shavings were bad for them but wasn't sure about the cedar tree. Glad to hear that it will be ok to put the run near it. We have a large area for the run.

Our compost in actually closed in on 3 sides. Right now the open side is to our neighbors yard however we plan on changing that so that it opens into our yard. Apparently its been there for 20 years or so and there was a mutual agreement between the neighbors. Since they don't use it anymore they don't mind if it's closed off from their yard. The compost pile is nicely divided into 3 seperate "stalls" and we plan on putting a lower "front" to keep the compost in and access to turning it so they shouldn't be able to spread it out to much.

Back
Top Bottom