1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much liquid calcium supplement to fix soft shell issue?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dweder, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:Yup. If she's deficient in Vit D all the calcium in the world won't help the problem. Try supplementing with cod liver oil as well...

2. mkcolls

mkcolls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Ohio
    Thanks for bring up this topic.

We have 2 of 13 Black Stars who are soft shell layers. The two have access to the same feed, oyster shell/and or crushed egg shell, and sun as the other 11. I was just thinking this am, after picking up yet another soft shell that absorption problems for these 2 must be in play. Vit D drops on a piece of bread for them starting today.

Thanks for all the info - timely and thoughtful. BYC is our #1 source for help.

3. dweder

dweder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Glen Ellyn, Illinois
    I am going to also try some Vitamin D support, but this chicken loves to sunbathe. Her outdoor run is covered in sunlight. I really thought that was the best Vitamin D possible.

Sounds like mine has a shell gland isssue, not working properly. Very worried and unhappy about all of this. I am also thinking about getting her fixed, or hormone shots to stop her from laying completely. The soft shelled eggs do not come out easily for her. Takes her about 6 hours of pushing, warm baths and tons of stress.

Thank you again for all of your suggestions!!

Danielle

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:I suspect the sunlight might need to actually reach the skin. And as chickens are covered in feathers, that might not be happening!
    Just a thought...

5. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

Hi,

I have a quick question or I guess a concern. Have you ever wormed your chickens or checked them for fowl mites or lice? There are many other reasons why a bird lays a soft shell and calcium is only one of them.

Just curious if this has crossed your mind and if you have indeed checked her for that and wormed?

Only a suggestion. I know some folks like all natural or holistic approach but, unfortunately DE is not enough to get rid of worms, lice, or mites and you can give a chicken all the calcium and vit in the world if those two issues have not been dealt with she will still have soft eggs [​IMG]

I wish you luck with helping your baby and best wishes!!
    [​IMG]
    Beth

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  6. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    I would be very careful about giving any magnesium supplement to your birds. Magnesium, in certain compounds, competes with calcium for absorbtion in the digestive track of chickens...too much magnesium can cause a calcium deficiency and aggrevate your soft shell egg problem. I got this from a Univ. of Florida publication.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/ps/ps02900.pdf

7. dweder

dweder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Glen Ellyn, Illinois
    Beth G. :

Hi,

I have a quick question or I guess a concern. Have you ever wormed your chickens or checked them for fowl mites or lice? There are many other reasons why a bird lays a soft shell and calcium is only one of them.

Just curious if this has crossed your mind and if you have indeed checked her for that and wormed?

Only a suggestion. I know some folks like all natural or holistic approach but, unfortunately DE is not enough to get rid of worms, lice, or mites and you can give a chicken all the calcium and vit in the world if those two issues have not been dealt with she will still have soft eggs [​IMG]

I wish you luck with helping your baby and best wishes!!
    [​IMG]
    Beth

I definately check for mites and lice, none to date. I dusted them in the spring just in case. No worms visible in their poop. I wormed them in the spring just in case. I guess I should do both again soon, just in case.

Thank you for the suggestion.​

8. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

Sounds like your ontop of things [​IMG]

I worm with valbazen 2 times per year in the spring and fall. But, everyone is different with different situations [​IMG]

Best of luck I hope your girl gets better soon!!!
    Quote:I definately check for mites and lice, none to date. I dusted them in the spring just in case. No worms visible in their poop. I wormed them in the spring just in case. I guess I should do both again soon, just in case.

Thank you for the suggestion.

9. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:That is a very good point...same thing with feeding foods like spinach....high in calcium, but does not like to share it when consumed. but I would not put too much stock in University of Florida Publications. I am a wildlife rehabber, I specialize in the North American Bobcat (through the largest bobcat rehab/research center in the US), and I believe it was the University of Florida that has a publication that states bobcats change their coat pattern as they age...which is a complete falacy. (not saying that they are wrong in this case, just to take all kinds of info with a grain of salt [​IMG] ). I can withdrawn my suggestion for magnesium though. [​IMG] I am not sure why I was thinking of magnesium in this instance.

I hope that you can help your girl with her issue. I know how hard it is for us chicken lovers...we have to make our own diagnosis, and be our own vets. I know it's tough. Good luck, and keep us updated!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  10. Greeks

Greeks New Egg

Jun 30, 2013
    What is ACV and where does one get it? I'd love to give them the calcium in their water instead of their food so that I know my hens aren't picking out the calcium or avoiding. I have 2 hens that keep breaking their eggs and the other 4 in the same coop that make strong eggs.

I have been giving them crushed oyster shells, and lots of table scraps (left over meats too), they have layer crumbles that I sometimes mix with gamebird feed to try and vary their diet up a little. I cannot have them free ranging as neighbors complain :(

I have to Sexlinks, 2 Light Coronation Sussex and 2 Salmon Faverolles

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by