How much meat does your family consume?

0 my family is vegetarian!
big_smile.png
hahaha

If I sat down I could probably figure out how much. I do know as a family of 6 we eat a lot of meat. Every night for dinner there is a meat dish usually beef or chicken. We do have fish once a week - either farm raised catfish or talapia (American only - never imported). We did see the movie Food Inc and found it to be very eye opening. We have also found out that our milk that we were buying has growth hormones in it so we have changed to the more expensive local dairy brand that is hormone free. We go through about 4 gallons of milk a week and with 4 growing kids were are concerned with what they eat. With our pork products we have a processer local where we get that from. My neighbor across from me get a few litters a year from their pigs and have considered raising one for butcher but was too afraid I would get attached
sad.png

but was too afraid I would get attached

friend, you need to come on over to the SS site and see the discussion about this! sallyschickens and i are here to tell you this will NOT happen!​

Quote:
I don't care if it is tasty or not as long as it was happy.

But that's easy for me to say, since I find happy meat seems to always be tastier meat, seeings it was naturally raised.

Funny how that works.
lol.png

For anyone out there who is afraid they will get attached to a baby pig, take it from me, you wont. Maybe at first when they are little and cute, but not after they grow just a tad, have escaped EVERY type of containment, poop and pees EVERYWHERE even in their food bowl, over and over and over and over, and tears up anything in it's piggy path.

Believe you me, I can't wait to fill my freezer with this happy, FINALLY contained to one area pig.
big_smile.png
Right now he is roto-tilling and fertilizing a new garden space for me, but this summer he is hisory! I've never butchered any of my own animals in my life AND I was a vegan for quite some time...but I will feel no guilt when lil' Benson goes to piggy heaven...in a peaceful way of course, no stress in his life-ever. Not like factory farm pigs.
sad.png
I can't wait!

My family eats aprox 1 moose , 2-3 caribou, 1-2 black bear all depending on what we fill the freezer first with. We almost never buy meat at all and if we do we buy it from our local slaughter house who is owned buy our life long farming family friends in our town. I cant help it who can live without bacon lol
big_smile.png
It always shocks me when people dont understand that the meat they buy came from a live animal. I showed market livestock while growing up and it always
somad.gif
when people would come into the market barn telling the kids even young ones how they were killers and mean when the person speaking was eating a turkey leg, burger or wearing leather shoes!!
rant.gif
Yet one more reason I love the fact I grew up here in Alaska
big_smile.png

Quote:
Wow.. that sounds like a large amount of meat for you 1 DH & a "crib midget"
wink.png
I'm guessing you have a big extended family too.
I think it's so wonderful that your eating all of that healthy meat.

Thank you everyone for all your answers. I've ordered our "meat birds" for the year and am on to other good meat sources. In the meantime Bison from the local grocer has been a wonderful treat even at $6/lb. And Organic Swordfish (is that possible?) and Shrimp (again.. possible?) are also available at $7-$8/lb I got some but I have to investigate those claims I guess.

Last edited:
I have never thought about how much meat we eat in a year. I know my dh is a meat lover. He would eat nothing but meat, bread, and eggs if I would let him. But I know we don't eat very much beef anymore since my dh and myself started deer hunting. Last season we put 7 deer in the freezer and was almost out before the next season opened. This season we got 5 in the freezer hoping we will make to the next season. I still buy chicken from the store and kick myself everytime I think about all the chemicals they jack those chickens up with but I don't have the heart to raise chickens and kill them. Thats the same reason I have 8 head of pet cows and would never even think of eating one of my babies! Honestly, chicken is about the only meat I do buy from the store on a regular bases. We don't eat a lot of pork becasue I don't really like it so I bet we only use 15 pounds of pork a year! Our fish, crab, and shrimp come from our local rivers and so glad of it because seafood is high dollar out the stores. It is well worth me throwing a cast net and setting out a crab trap compared to paying that kind of money. And my father catches all the fish we can eat. I am glad to hear other people who are not so dependant on store bought food!

Back
Top Bottom