how much milk to pullets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chartssss34, Sep 27, 2010.

1. chartssss34

chartssss34 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2010
    I have been reading a lot of articles on the protein intake of the pullets and how milk is one of the best..

i decided to go ahead with it but anyone has any idea about the amount...

ihave 20 light sussex 10 cochins 10 brahmas and 10 polish

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, actually, it's one of the worst things to give chickens unless you're treating cocci. They can have yogurt because it's processed differently than milk, but they do not digest milk well. Chick starter/grower till laying age then layer pellets/crumble, plus possibly supplement occasionally with some sort of fish or fish meal, but milk shouldn't be a regular thing for chickens.

3. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Cynthia, I occasionaly give my chickens clabbered raw milk and they love it. Is there a difference in how it is given? In other words pasteurized vs. raw?

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Raw milk yes, grocery store milk no. Raw milk has enzymes in it that help you digest the milk. Some people who are lactose intollerant find they can drink raw milk. I wouldn't give any animal grocery store cow milk. It's hard to digest and really the stuff is just plain disgusting. The level of cow puss in our milk makes it so most of it would not pass inspection in other countries. Just because we kill the cow puss with pasteurization does not make me feel any better about it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by