How much money can you make off of eggs?

Jenna14Chicken

Songster
Mar 19, 2016
OH.
I now have 8 birds and once they start laying I plan on selling them like in the past. I only had six birds then and didn't sell many. But I am wondering how much do you make? Do you think I can get enough to pay for feed weekly and enough to buy more chicks from Meyer Hatchery next spring-summer? How much do you make a week with 8 birds? Also Please say how many people you sell to so I can figure that out. Thanks so much for any help or advice! :)
Jenna

Here in MO, chicken people sell eggs for only $1.50 to $2.00 a dozen! If you live in OR, you can get $5 and more if they are organic, free range etc. In our area, people don't care if it's free range, organic, whatever. An egg is an egg here.

There are so many costs and factors that you have to weigh in. It is not only the cost of the feed, but also water, coop, feeders/waterers, fencing, and electricity. What about the cost of the birds as chicks, and the feed they ate as chicks? What about the feed they eat when they aren't laying? And this isn't even accounting for labor. If you factor in all these costs, it is something crazy like $5 per dozen.

Alot people hatch chicks. . Sell the chicks.. helps pay for feed ..
If you spend 225.00 a year on feed for those 8 hens.. chicks usally worth 3.00. So if you hatched 75 chicks a season.. your feed would be paid for.. all the eggs at that point would be profit.

Here in MO, chicken people sell eggs for only $1.50 to $2.00 a dozen!  If you live in OR, you can get $5 and more  if they are organic, free range etc. In our area, people don't care if it's free range, organic, whatever.  An egg is an egg here.    
I live up here in Ohio where we also can get eggs for $1.50-$2.00 but since I raise they are more like $1000 in a year cause of all the payments for raising for feed,etc.

I live near the coast in Virginia and we sell our eggs for $4 a dozen, $6 for 18 ct. I have many customers through work who buy anytime I bring in eggs. I usually have waiting list for eggs from coworkers. My fiance also has people at work who request some. We have a variety of colors in our eggs. Currently we have brown, Peach/pink, and two types of green. Once our new pullets reach laying age, we will have more colors and may raise the price slightly. Not many people who we work with have chickens or ducks or anything so when we started with ours and had too many eggs for us, my coworkers kept asking if we would sell them and I never lack for takers when I bring them in.

I've found you can increase the profit by reducing the cost of the feed. Here in California, I'm going to be selling them for $4 a dozen. It takes 2 pounds of feed to produce a dozen eggs, and here the feed is .38 a pound. If I bring them vegetable scraps from the kitchen I work at and ferment the feed, reducing the amount they eat by a half because of more efficient nutrition, the cost is even less. It'll just be a matter of weeks before I pay off the cost of the chickens and start making profit.

I've found you can increase the profit by reducing the cost of the feed. Here in California, I'm going to be selling them for $4 a dozen. It takes 2 pounds of feed to produce a dozen eggs, and here the feed is .38 a pound. If I bring them vegetable scraps from the kitchen I work at and ferment the feed, reducing the amount they eat by a half because of more efficient nutrition, the cost is even less. It'll just be a matter of weeks before I pay off the cost of the chickens and start making profit.

Likely closer to 6lb a dozen

Back
Top Bottom