1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much nesting material to use?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chocobo, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Chocobo

Chocobo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    So I have two 12x12x12 nesting boxes for my three hens and I am not sure just how much hay to put in.
    The rest of the coop has rice hulls in it so I put a thin layer of that down and just kind of tossed a little hay on top and made it "nest shaped".
    Is there some kind of formula for how much material should go in?
    Also they are 23 weeks old and NO EGGS YET! [​IMG]
    I am not a patient man sometimes.

2. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    The main thing I did was to be sure there was enough straw to have a "padding" on the bottom of the nest and enough around the sides to keep her off the boards. They have done the rest in making each one fit them.

3. Chocobo

Chocobo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    12x12x12 seems kind of small for Buff Orpingtons. Do you think they'll fit comfortably in these?

4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Mine are 14X16X16, so a little larger.[​IMG]

5. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    I have 3 , ones 14x14 and the others 16x16 and the other ones around 16x16 They stuff in there. But mine seem to prefer the bigger boxes. If you put too much they will make a fuss, I added some fresh wheat straw and it was more then whats always in there...they wouldn't stop until i pulled it out! I put curtains one the front of mine, so no poop no sleepers just eggs.

now if your putting chicobo's in there I would make it ostrich sized!!!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by