How much niacin?

CountryFried

Songster
9 Years
Mar 6, 2010
SE AL
I'm visiting a local mill tomorrow (friend told me about it, she's paying half of what I am at TSC haha), and I'm unsure what I should get for the duckings and goslings. They're on Purina Flock Raiser right now, have about 15lbs left, so it's time to buy more food! Anyway, not sure what I should ask the mill for, and I can't seem to find the niacin content on the FR on Purina's site.

20190318_162534.jpg

Well, no dice at that mill. They're looking into a waterfowl mix for another guy, it would be based on their 20% chicken feed, but he wasn't sure the niacin content for now, they're waiting on the guy to order it and tell them what he wants in it. There's another mill not too far away, I'm going to check with the co-op that carries their stuff and see what they have.

and I can't seem to find the niacin content on the FR on Purina's site.
Yes, I'm not sure if I still have the email... but it's deeply ingrained in my brain from research conducted when adding ducklings to my flock.

Most feeds I have seen do not list the niacin content on the guaranteed analysis tags as it isn't required by law to be on the label the way many other things are. I did make contact with the company (Purina) and they confirmed the niacin content is 55mg/kg in the flock raiser feed.

Most chicken feed will be closer to 35ppm. But you contact any of the companies and they will tell you their values. :)

How old are your ducks and goslings now?

TSC has the best value in my location. But shopping around I can save at least $1.50/bag + 8% sales tax, if I buy at Grange co-op when visiting my in-laws. They also sometimes put out 10% coupons for TSC...

They put their Purina layer feed on sale for $14/50# all the time verses the $18 I pay for flock raiser...

You can always buy standard chicken feed and supplement the niacin with brewers or nutritional yeast (different values) as many folks do. I am unsure if there is savings that way and I like the convenience of premixed... but even then SOME fowl may require extra supplementation above the 55mg/kg (or ppm).

The table provided by Cayuga momma should help get ya going in the right direction in your talk with the mill. :thumbsup

Good luck! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom