How much of a lip on nest boxes?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Knock Kneed Hen, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I made my nest boxes and installed them today. They are a foot off the ground and measure 14 x 14. Two sit directly under the poop board. I wanted to put a lip across the front to keep some shavings in but I worry that when they jump up to get into the box they won't have enough head room to jump up and over a lip. So do I need a perch? My girls are coming up on 20 weeks. Should I go ahead and open the boxes to them now or wait for the first egg to be layed? Thanks!

edited for multiple spelling and grammar errors....this chick is tired! I hope I have some answers in the morning. I'm anxious to get 'er done! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  2. lavacaw

lavacaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    South Central Texas
    My boxes are only 12x12 for full sized hens. They have a 1x4 across the front to hold in shavings and have no problem at all getting into the boxes.

3. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    i have my next boxes 14x14 with 1x4 broad in front to keep the shaving inside

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    14x14 is plenty big and they will have no problem getting in and out plus they like it cozy in there. a 3" lip should be fine and 4" even better, so put on a lip and a perch so they can walk by each one to inspect the best one to lay in.

AL

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Ha! Everyone has a 4 inch lip it seems (me too). I'd not only open them up, I'd stick golf balls in each one and let them go to town exploring where THEIR eggs will soon go. [​IMG]

6. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    You guys are all great!! A 1 x 4 it is and I'll get to work on a perch....and I thought I was done!! [​IMG]

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:[​IMG] You're FUNNY!! Haven't you learned by now that you're NEVER done when it comes to chickening???? [​IMG]

8. Puma

Puma Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Riverside
    Here is what I did on ours. A 1" x 12" sitting on 4 cinder blocks with a 1" x 4" board across the front.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by