How much oregano

Discussion in 'Nutrition - Sponsored by Purina Poultry' started by PMFchickenguy, Aug 17, 2016.

1. PMFchickenguy

PMFchickenguy New Egg

Mar 9, 2016
    I was just wondering how much oregano to give my chickens...i dont have oil just freah and dried leaves...i know yoh can make oregano oil but i dont have the time or money...can you boil freah leaves(making tea) and give it to chickens?

2. mich9510

mich9510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    Southwest PA
    What does oregano do for chickens?

3. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Makes them smell 'Italian' :lol:

Honestly though it has some antibiotic properties, that might help the chicken...

IMO if one is using it for medicinal reasons you can't go wrong with fresh...

4. ellenscoop

ellenscoop Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2015
    Indiana
    You should check out PoultryDVM's page on Oregano - they provide an entire list of research studies conducted and ethnoveterinary remedies of like every feed additive/forage/herb/etc. you can think of with dosages of various plant parts, etc. - http://www.poultrydvm.com/supplement/oregano-leaves

1 person likes this.
  5. DrPatrickBiggs

DrPatrickBiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    Thank you for the question! There are a few ways to feed oregano to chickens.
    1. If you are just giving them leaves, then you could just set the leaves around the coop and run and let the birds decide how much they want to eat.
    2. You could also place a plant near their run or in their free-range area and allow them to eat what they want.
    3. You could make some tea with the leaves and then provide that as their drinking water for a few hours a day. Just be sure that the water has cooled before providing it to the hens. Nobody likes burning their tongue on hot tea.

1 person likes this.
  6. MandalaMaMa

MandalaMaMa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    southern Oregon coast
    Can you used dried oregano? Could I just sprinkle some on there fermented food?

7. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Like almost all 'dried' things nutrients and such start to breakdown, to what degree depends on age and storage procedures so you won't get optimal results with dried but yes you can use it....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by