How much Pine Shavings do I need?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jmurcks, Jan 16, 2010.

1. DonnaBelle

DonnaBelle Songster

Feb 15, 2009
    McIntosh County, OK
    I believe I have read on this site that Cedar is toxic to chickens, is that not right? Can someone let us know about that??

DonnaBelle

2. greathorse

greathorse Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I am not the expert here but I do know that every time cedar comes up there is the same concern. There was a recent thread that indicated that certain cedar's are potentially toxic and others are fine. There was something about one of them actually being a Juniper so it goes. I didnt digest it very well since we have precious little cedar here to be concerned with.

You should probably make sure you have the right one. Although I am not sure any would have enough resin in it to hurt a chicken but I wouldnt chance it unless I had my facts straight.

I do know Cedar smells great.

3. Jmurcks

Jmurcks Songster

Oct 30, 2009
    North Alabama
    Well I went to TSC and bought 4 bags so I will let you guys know how it covers when I get a chance to go out there and lay it out... it has been raining very hard all day!

4. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
  5. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
  6. herefordlovinglady

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    Chickie'sMoma :

this might be a helpful thread someone did a spreadsheet on the litter depth. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=286384

i
    know that our feed store has shavings supplied in 7 cubic feet bags compressed. so this might help you figure it out a little easier.

GREAT MINDS THINK A LIKE...​

7. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    heh, i just saw that probably 30 minutes ago and thought it was good to keep it bookmarked for later. good thing [​IMG]

8. herefordlovinglady

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    Chickie'sMoma :

heh, i just saw that probably 30 minutes ago and thought it was good to keep it bookmarked for later. good thing [​IMG]

ME TOO! I GUESS I AM FOLLOWING YOU.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: