How much pine shavings per square foot?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hoover67, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Hoover67

Hoover67 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Huntsville
    I have a 6x6' raised coop with a wood floor. DH is going to stop by the feed store to pick up pine shavings. It is $7.50 per 50# bag...ouch! How many bags do you think I will need?

Michele

2. Hoover67

May 31, 2008
    Huntsville
    OOOOPs! One more question.....[​IMG] ..... Where do you look for foodgrade DE? Do I have to order on-line?
    Thanks!

3. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Yikes, that is pricey!

I don't know about how much per square foot, but you want an overall depth of 2 or 3 inches. I think a 50# bag would do it.

4. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    One bag will last awhile, depending on how you use it. I sprinkle mine with Stall Dry, which is a pelletized DE/clay mix and it seeme to last forever.

5. skyfires

skyfires Trying to hide

Jul 19, 2008
    The Ozarks of Arkansas
    Wow that is pricey!!! Do you happen to have a wood mill, or saw mill near by?? Check the phone book and see. This is where I get mine, and I get a pickup load full for 5.00. This is more than enough for my hen house that is 8X8. I have enough to cover the floor 3 inches deep. I put the rest in two of the largest rubbermaid outside trash cans. I scoop out the 'dirty' spots every other day, and refill what I remove. I bought this load of shavings 5 months ago, and I still have enough to finish the year out. Make sure you ask for pine shavings, sometimes they cut oak and I don't know how my birds would do with oak. So I stick to pine. I hope this helps,,,,and good luck,,, [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Have you tried shopping around for pine shavings. I can get mine cheaper at Miejer, rather then the feed store or te pet store I was really surprised in the price jump from one store to another.

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    One bag should be plenty for now.

Have fun,

Pat

8. Hoover67

May 31, 2008
    Huntsville
    Found some at Tractor Supply Company for $4.99. Thank you so much for your help. It sure looked like it wouldn't be enough so I got two bags. I really appreciate your time!

Michele

9. Hoover67

May 31, 2008
    Huntsville
    Just put it in.... It took just over 1/2 of the 50# bag. Thanks for the help! You guys are great.

Michele:eek:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by