How much property do you all have?

Wendy'sChicksRock

Songster
9 Years
Aug 8, 2010
Oakland county ,MI
I'm just a bit nervous about having trouble. I have 1 acre here in my neighbor hood. The houses are close together but the lots are deep. We are not a farming area,my kids walk to school right down the road. I did have a neighbor come today and look at my chickens/coop an ask if I was gonna get a roo? She was relieved when I said no,thank goodness her kids play with mine and they LOVE the chickens. Have any of you had to deal with being told you cant have yor birds? What is my first line of defence if this happens? I do let them out to free range and they will sometimes go in the yards next door but I never just leave them out alone.no big dogs running loose or anything ike that just curious neighbors now that the word is out...

Yeah, you'll have to check zoning laws/neighbor hood rules/HOA stuff. From a 2000sq foot lot to 20 acres... doesn't matter the size if the rules say no. Of course, it is easier to hide things on 20 acres than it is on 2000sq foot lot.

I am just outside city limits...like a few houses out of "city' into "county" so I am llowed chickens or anything else. My neighborhood is situated so we are all on lots of a half acre. I'm actually surprised no ones said anything about my roosters crows, when I had bottle lambs, I did get whines from a neighbor (not really complaints, just whining IMO) but we have a lot of barking dogs in the neigborhood, so maybe the crowers get drowned out?
it dosn't actually matter if your neighbors complain or not as long as you arn't breaking any codes for your area

The county area is all 2.5 acre lots in the section of a rural community I lived in. You can also get down to .5 acres lots or up to 10 acres lots depending on the street. For the 2.5 acre lots zoning allows 24 chickens and a mix of up to 10 sheep, goats, pigs, horses and cows (not more than 5 horses and/or cows).

Nearby, one lady has over 30 chickens, another guy has a a bunch of small steers for calf roping and wrestling and the next street over has a horse arena for riding lessons. Basically keep the dust down and your pen/corral clean and don't mistreat your animals and everyone is happy.

i think we have about 2.5 to 3 acres, some of it wooded, and we are zoned for chickens, our areas not really too close together, we were the only house they left when the built bay farm (condo/townhome area) and were kinda set back in the woods and theres a street/neighbors behind us and a main road behind that but its not too loud aside from that not a huge deal but so because of that we have a huge yard and long driveway so its nice, fairly private and luckily i think i our town actually encourages farming/ag stuff, "right to farm" act i think its called so we can pretty much have what we want as long as its not bothering anyone i think, theres not that many "farm" animals in our area/town though cause i think were (by that i mean the town) kinda more ritzy/richer fams (but not everyone, and were not exactly rich but some people here are but not mega hollywood rich, just wealthy but like everyone thinks were all stuck up and snobby so the nice people have to work hard to disprove that philosophy and i kinda hate it because its annoying, although it is pretty nice here, its just annoying trying to constantly disprove the the theory that everyone heres rude and duxbury is "deluxbury", its annoying, you know?...) but anywho i lost my point, ok wait no, now i got it, anyways not that many people have farm animals here but a few do, theres some with chickens, some with horses, even one with llamas and one with alpacas so there are a few but theyre spread out more throughout town but its allowed here, in fact even encouraged, so i could probably get chickens, even goats, or horses if i wanted to and if the neighbors say anything id probably say, "its allowed, look at this"
tongue.png
lolz...
lol.png

Last edited:
You need to listen to the advice the first few posters gave you and find out what your specific zoning says. There is no way we can really advise you based solely on lot size. To be honest, it sounds like you are already headed for trouble.

We have .5 acre close in town and we were told we cannot keep birds here (yes, we fought it and lost). We also own a 7 acre farm, where we keep all of our birds now. Zoning regulations even within the same city vary tremendously. We are allowed up to 144 adult breeder birds at our 7 acre farm, but we have looked at other properties here locally that are in the 35-40 acre range that are zoned residential with poultry/livestock completely forbidden! You just never know. Research the rules where you are. (Also, keep the birds caged and on your own property or you will eventually face trouble).

I am stuck in a sub-division. I think that the lot is about 10,000 sq feet. I just supply the neighbors with eggs and so far it is working.

I live on 1.5 acres, and we are in town. Our houses are fairly close together. I don't let my chickens free range, not because my neighbors would necessarily object, but because we live too close to a couple of businesses and because some of my neighbors have dogs (and poorly behaved children). We had some game hens that used to free range, but they kept trying to cross the road, so we gave them to someone who had more land. The 12 chickens we have now live in an 8x6 coop, with a 30x8 run.

I would strongly recommend that you find out about your laws first. My kids would be so upset if we had to get rid of our chickens!

Back
Top Bottom