How much room do finches need?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by The Farm, Feb 25, 2014.

1. The Farm

The Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2013
    Luther, OK
    I am going to get some Zebra finches. And I would like to know how many will be comfortable in a 3ft T 2 .5 W and 4ft L?
    And do you'll think I could keep them in the outside aviary alyear round? We are in OK.

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I love extra space, so I would probable put only one pair in that, but I am sure two pair would fit.

As to keeping them outside where you live.....can you ask around and see if anyone does it or has tried!

3. The Farm

Oct 16, 2013
    Luther, OK
    Okay thanks for the feedback.

4. Rosa moschata

Rosa moschata Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    You can keep finches outside year-round in aviaries built with a draft-free area, but I wouldn't recommend it in a cage -- unless you lived somewhere without frost. I'm sure there will be others who chime in and say something about keeping their birds outside year-round without a shelter just to disagree, but I can't imagine being exposed to an Oklahoma Winter will be pleasant for zebra finches without a draft-free shelter, and probably some supplemental heat.

:)

5. The Farm

Oct 16, 2013
    Luther, OK
    Okay thanks I made the aviary 6 ft long 2.5 wide an 3 ft tall. How many do you think I can fit in there in and them be comfortable???

6. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by