How much room do they need?

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
Do meaties need as much coop space as layers? I have a temporary coop set up (about 4x6), that will soon be vacated and I was thinking of getting some meat birds to fill it up once before I dismantle it. So how many meat birds could I reasonably put in that space?

Hmm. Battery hens get what, .75 square feet per chicken? Surely you can do better than that! How about .5? So that's 48.
wink.png

I would ignore Sandra's post if I were you...sarcasm really won't get anyone, anywhere...

A normal bird should get 3 sq. feet of room to itself. THAT being said, broilers are not normal and do not move around much. You can get away with 2.5 sq. feet/bird.

You have 24 sq. ft. total so 9.6 or 10 birds could theoretically go in there nicely.

OH. As an aside, I told someone we both know that I had three hundred thousand chickens and SHE BELIEVED ME. This degenerated into a bizarre conversation that had to be seen to be believed. Let's just say that brooder photos were not appreciated.

Quote:
She generally ignores me
smile.png
She knows me by now.

To quote my husband, who always makes me laugh, "Sarcasm is lost on toddlers." Not that she's a toddler. It just made me think of it... it's late, sue me!

Sandra! Are you calling me a toddler?! I am soooo offended!
wink.png

I want to know who you told you had 300,000, lol. By the way, shanah tovah!

Well, 10 seems a reasonable number to me. If they have a run area, does it need to be one separate from my layers? I know meaties are far more stinky than layers and I don't want their run to forever reek of meat birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom