How much room does 3 hens need?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 4 Love of Baby Chickens, Feb 5, 2009.

1. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Would a 10' by 8' coop be big enough for 3 hens? Or do you need 10' by 10'? And would 8' by 20' feet be big enough for a run?

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    That much space and they will be in paradise. [​IMG] You will have plenty of room to add more chickens when you decide on more.
    ETA: technically, 12sq ft, is enough for 3 hens, which is a 4x3 coop, and 8 to 10sq ft per hen for the run, which is 30sq ft. which is 5x6 for the run.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2009
  3. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Perfect.

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Oh my goodness that is great. Inside space if they have run space is approximately 5 sq ft per bird so 15 sqft for sleep space 30 sqft if you want to make them super happy. So a 5' x 5' would be great with xtra room.

I have 29 in a 12' x 12' and they are out in the run all day and free-ranging 12' x 38' run space.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  5. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

That's a huge coop for them, you can have probably up to 20 in a coop that size without any danger of overcrowding. They'll think they're in a castle. [​IMG] ...ok last person said 5 sq foot per bird... in a warm climate, where they won't be trapped inside in the winter etc.. I'd say 4 sq foot per bird is fine, but that's my opinion.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by